Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday 030912

This calendar year, I have not been posting what training I have been doing on a daily basis.  Instead I have opted for posting those logs on a weekly basis.  I started doing this because I thought it was more important for me to take a bigger view of my training, rather than my often myopic nature of what I was doing on any day.

After 10 weeks of doing that, I am pretty sure that the shifting when I post my log is not helping me accomplish that. 

I am still in the habit of wanting a run of somewhere on the order of 60-120 minutes every day.  I can impose some sort of rules on myself of wanting to get after it every couple days, but that probably is a more natural outcome:  I feel pretty good (usually) every couple of days and so I look to make myself breathe a bit harder on that sort of periodicity.

Given a window of 90 minutes, I way way waaaay more interested in running for all of those minutes versus running for 45 and thrashing myself via other means for the other half.  I can see that often does not make sense for the best way to train, but I still am not willing/able/serious enough to change it.

So while my log gets posted on a bigger view, I am still chasing the habit of my running for my enjoyment of it on a daily basis versus most effective training.  I have discussed this with various folks, and I have concluded that training is something you do with a focus on a goal for the future – and usually an event.  Exercise is the habit of movement, and not necessarily with a goal in mind other than basic fitness and, well, enjoying movement.

Now, I expect some people reading that will say, “well that is dumb.  You should do what is most effective for training.”  And I am sure some other lot of people will say “you got to do what you enjoy.  Consistency will carry you far anyway.”  Truth is (most folks probably don’t care) that I can see the “logic” to both sides … to some I am probably longer term focused but to others I am too focused on the here and now gratification. 

I guess I can see where I am at, and recognize to some extent, more and more of this journey is about recognizing what my stripes are and dealing with how much I am willing to change them.

Today was that sort of run where I could see both.  Didn’t mean I did much to change it, but I could see it.

Roll back to Thursday … Yesterday my Achilles (side note, how many body parts are actually capitalized?  Achilles is and off the top of my head I can’t think of too many any  others … most are not capitalized but the largest tendon in the human body gets capital billing I guess) started barking a bit.  I really have no idea why.  Well, that is not completely true.  I know why.  The truth is I shoved my foot in a lawn mower some 2 score ago and it gets cranky on occasion.  It gets cranky enough that I know it will probably pass in a week or two, but there are days – like yesterday and today where I know I am going to be hobbled by it a bit.  Frankly, I ought to not bother running on these days because I am probably jacking it more than I should.  Yes, in fact rest of it would be the smart “training” move.

But today a perfect spring day.  No wind.  Cool temps.  Blue bird skies.  And the mountains calling. 

I was completely desiring to with 180 stings a minute running versus sitting on the sidelines doing something else.  After weeks of wind, cold, snow entrenched trails, I felt I DESERVED it.

Sixty minutes in this Achilles was pretty pissed.

See?– short term view.  I see what I want to do versus what I ought to do.

So 90 minutes on a dry to muddy to ice encrusted Mesa trail (that included two completely feet slide out in front of me, slap back on my arse and slip down the ice wipe outs that left scratches on my back since I was not wearing a shirt) was completely on tap for today.  I loved it.  My lawnmower foot … eh, not so much.

But I can tell myself a good story that this week has been about getting a bit more vertical in as I have my eye on the longer term picture.  And I really wanted two hours but I called it a day at 90 minutes, as a “concession.”

I am doomed to repeat my own history because while I can learn from it, I am determined not to change any thing because of it.
============
a few other side notes … as I am looking to avoid driving all the way into Boulder and parking at the Chaut lot, I selected the South Boulder Creek lot – just south of Shanny Ridge on 93.  This lot is still “free” and I can start some climbing after about 2 miles on the flat stuff.  Apparently this lot will close for a month starting on Monday.  The sign at the lot suggested I go park at the South Mesa Trailhead lot for the next month on 170 (up towards Eldo) … but that and the Dowdy Draw lots are now permit based lots for non Boulder County residents).

… Much of the trails in the trees are a mess of mud and ice … and probably will be for a bit.  I did not explore any of the “higher” trails (like Shadow, as I figured if the Mesa is that messed up, the upper stuff is going to be locked into ice for a bit.

Looks like a new trail connecting Shanny Ridge neighborhood and the Big Bluestem trail is in.  I did not check that one out.

JV is the man … the guy did a maintenance overhaul on JZ’s bike last night.  We went over to get some help on indexing the grip gear shift and the guy tweaked the breaks, the front rim, and a bunch of other stuff.  Mucho appreciated.  I keep introducing Jeff to JZ as Mr. Valliere but Jeff rolls his eyes and says “call me Jeff.” 

TalkUltra episode 4 went up.  I get a nod as a top ten finisher in their photo contest.  I am leading the “likes” at current, but apparently the voting will go for another 3 weeks.  Good show with all sorts of news from the MUT world, including ultras where you carry goats.

Jim Parry is amazing. 

11 comments:

  1. Here's a list of body parts named after people... there's a lot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_anatomical_parts_named_after_people

    From 93/ 128th you're only ~20:00 from my house. Free parking. Immediate vertical. Dry conditions. Plus I'll have coffee waiting and beverages after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, watch out for that Broca's aphasia. Your question in the 6th paragraph is super deep. Do I run as part of a desire to better myself as a runner? Or do I run to make myself a better person? ...or, oh god! Is there a difference between the two? Whoa.

    side note: I deleted the previous comment because my grammar is weird since I started living in another country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you can park right across 93 from the South Boulder lot and would be fine. Or start from Lehigh.

    If you want to get in some vertical without the mixed conditions Sanitas should be nearly clear. I ran it on Tuesday and it only had a few spots of ice near the top. Overall it was in good shape. I assume by now it is clear but can't say for sure since I have been 'enjoying' the treadmill the past few days.

    I'd also be careful of those falls straight onto your backside - they can result in broken bones...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup...can relate. Love the daily fix, but may be sometimes at the expense of the big picture. Too far gone here to change though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Park along the road closer to where the Bobolink/SoBo trail ends and you'll be ok. I use that trailhead regularly (3x this week) and will be bummed when it's out of commission for a bit too, but from the looks of it, they are going to make it a bit bigger/better.

    Can also park up by the Fowler trailhead.

    I too took a nice couple of slips up on Mesa and Upper Big Bluestem on Tuesday. Not fun.

    I've just stopped posting training logs all together...no one has seemed to notice, so I think I'm good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What? How is Dick not on that list? And yet Scrotal Raphe of Holzer, Anal Crypts of Meera, Paraclitoral Recess of Mulvey, and Sphincter of Oddi are. And since Mel Brooks' Spaceballs is a non-fiction movie, I'm sure Asshole was named after someone too. Wasn't there a guy named Harry Vagina? I need to call Wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dilemma about what you want to do vs. what you ought to do resonates with me, especially with my eating. I've concluded that those times are when I'm encountering what Steven Pressfield calls the "resistance," or Seth Godin calls the lizard brain. Recognizing it is progress for me, but I have no clue how to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks George! Just trying to help out where I am able. Yesterday was a good, although somewhat painful day! Glad we were able to help out a lot of kids!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jim - amazing stuff by you.

    Will - the lizard brain, yes - I have heard that. We all know how to deal with it ... it is whether we CHOOSE to.

    Chucktown10, you never cease to crack me up.

    Derrick - too far gone here too ... and probably too old to care.

    P - been keeping track of your expatriated adventures in grammar. I need to remind myself - I am NOT defined by being a runner. I know some folks say they are, but that - I think - is also a choice. We can define ourselves to be what we want to be.

    Lucho, Nick, Rob - yeah, there are lots of places I can go and park and not have to worry about it. I find it sort of interesting that the places the city has specifically designated for parking are increasingly more challenging to actually park in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I find it sort of interesting that the places the city has specifically designated for parking are increasingly more challenging to actually park in." - that is just because Boulder people know they can avoid the out of town riff-raff (you) by parking there ;)

    ReplyDelete