Sunday, June 3, 2012

More stuff

The Brits are still the pioneer in the mile, as one named Tony Whiteman became the first man over 40 to break four in the event (OUTDOORS) by running 3:58.  Getting lapped would be within the realm of possibility for me.
Of course, guys like Farrah and Rupp cool down at 5 minute pace in lane 3.  Farrah appears well poised to bring the UK its first mid distance medal in a long time.  Still, Bekele is only four seconds down going into the Olympics based on yesterday’s run.  The 5k ought to be hot.
In any case, local all comers track meets are firing up here next week.  I might participate as I am nearly guaranteed not to get lost by getting off course.  Looks like I last ran this in 2008, with a 10k (although check out the 80 year old in the 800).  Thinking if I attend this week it will be for the 1500.  I think I’d be pretty pressed to break 5:20 for a true mile, so breaking 5 for the 15 could be a tall order given “training” as of late. 
Quite the ultra site.

4 comments:

  1. If I didn't have enough air in the tires of my mountain bike, it would be quite a workout to break a 4 minute mile even riding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This'll get you sub-4:00:

    http://www.victoryracingcompany.com/cheyenne-boulevard-mile

    Beer afterward, too. Gonna be good times. You might even get the chance to nip Brownie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sub 6 here might be a tall order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherman - right, we thought of that one.

    Cameron - I realize it is one of those peaks that falls into a bit of a controversial category, but isn't that true to some extent of the whole Decalibron? For it to count, isn't there some sort of "rule" of 3000 feet of ascent - which is really not gonna happen if you start at Kite Lake (12k) and then ridge run between Democrat and the subsequent peaks?

    ReplyDelete