Monday, June 25, 2012

Various

Catching up on tons of blogs on Mount Washington, Mount Evans, Western and SJS.  Inspiring stuff.  Lots of blogs to catch up and read.

Scary stuff … coming back from Yellowstone, we came through a significant cloud of smoke on I25 south of Cheyenne and to the north end of Fort Collins.  When we left, there was the concern of the High Park fire, but now there are fires all over the state … it is going to be a tough tough summer if we don’t get some regular rain. 

On some lighter notes …

I was sort of blown away at JZ and some of his peers on this camping trip.  I wandered up to one of his merit badge classes one day and the instructor asked them:  “if you were lost in the wilderness and you knew you were going to be out overnight, what would you do?”  One of the answers was “build a fire.”  On the spot the instructor challenged the kids:  “okay, go build a fire with flint and steel.”  The kids asked “where?”  The instructor:  “anywhere … as long as it is safe.”  Within a few minutes, JZ and his buddy had a fire going … then they started building a shelter.  Not a big deal I realize in the world of Scouts, but pretty cool to see your 11 year old pull that off.

I should not be surprised as he broke 4 for the mile, but still, sub 2 at 40 and older is sick.  Sub 1:50 is mind boggling.

The Keiners route run is getting some press.  Pretty epic for sure.

Part of the reason why I debate if I will ever do a 100 again … is because of all the homework.

JV pointed out this way to get up Pikes super fast to me.

I hope I remember this 11 rules to aging gracefully in 50 years.

Some good quotes I have heard as of late: 
“You going gluten free is not why you feel better.  You feel better because you are not eating five pieces of pizza a night and having a six pack of beer.” 

Scout at BSA camp:  “I can’t help that I get this dirty.  Dirt is naturally attracted to me.”

Rifle instructor at BSA camp:  “You can buy rifle targets at the Scout trading post if you need additional targets.”  Scout:  “How about a gun?  Can I buy a gun at the trading post?”  Rifle instructor (looking a bit concerned):  “No, you can buy a target.  Not a gun.”  Scout:  “How about a bullet?  Can I buy a bullet?”

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I might have to steal the quote about going gluten free. :D

    ReplyDelete