Getting back to town after week in the Yellowstone area with JZ (amazing week, more on that later with pix, etc). I have been pretty much intersphere dead so I have been nearly completely out of it. Lots to catch up on … fires in Colorado (who needs site to evac to? contact me … ), Western, SJS, Mount Evans, the OT races, Comrades winner drug ban, how to be a pacer, etc. I got a few bits and bytes … but mostly I have not clue as to what has happened or is happening.
The last two weeks reinforced for me my general thinking and approach to
training and racing this season. And that approach is pretty loose. I have
called it exercise instead of training… meaning I might get one day and do
Green. The next day might be speed on the track in spikes. Or, like it was
last week, it might be nothing at all. There is clearly a part of my brain that
barks in concern about this approach. It is that part of me that obsesses over
my performances in races being some sort of definition of who I am. And with
that, I can control who I am by being disciplined with training – and hence
performances. It is that part of my brain that believes that if I let it go
just a little bit, I will let it go a lot of bit. It is the concern that if I
let it unravel, I will not be able to wind it up again. But, frankly, that is
simply not smart for the other priorities I have – and that I have gladly
chosen. I choose not to be tortured by my training and my performances, but
instead look to be balanced and joyful in the pursuit of being a runner, a
friend, a father, a husband. When I have that perspective – it is pretty
awesome.
To that end, I with this shift, a natural outcome is that this blog is
changing as well. In its early chapters (almost 5 years ago now), it was about
me being public in my commitment to do the best I could at Pikes. It was all
about posting my training and my workouts along the way – to be both accountable
to that and to solicit feedback. Along the way it has been a training blog, a
blog about the races I have done, a blog about the guys I have run with, a blog
about my family and my travels (mostly due to work), and recently a blog
considering about how I age as an athlete. I realize post training about epic
times in the mountains is probably a more entertaining read, but I never really
did this to be entertaining.
So we’ll see where it goes. I am pretty sure that I will like it. Some may
not.
Melted myself with a run over Green and Bear yesterday as a way to submerge and cleanse myself after a week in the big park. Not bad, but it was pretty damn hot out there. 101 was recorded … and I felt it as I got out mid day … and hence got a good number of those “what the hell is he doing” looks.
No comments:
Post a Comment