Friday, June 6, 2014

Friday 060614

Nice write up by Justin on Tony.

Last night’s results.  They are put up by Benji D.  2:09 marathoner.  Still sort of blows me away.  Also doing timing last night was Don J.  Another top tier marathoner in his day.  And walking around was Jay Johnson (not the young guy who ran for CU but the guy who won the world mountain running championships).  And national master champ Melody F.  Just a few of the folks … always amazing in Boulder in that regard.

Good rattle in the lungs from last night.  Interesting as the workouts leading up to last night seemed to be more working the legs than the lungs.  Last night it seemed to be more about the lungs than the legs.  Got up Green today (#4) on the year.  Headed up Enchanted Mesa, then over on the Mesa and Bear Canyon.  I had not been on this path since the floods and there are certainly some interesting washouts.  The route up Green on Bear Canyon is so different since the reroute of those trails a couple years back.  It used to kick the crap out of me but with that long winding grade, it is almost all run-able.  Came back down the middle route, and did not get attacked by the nut job bird.  10.4 miles on the day. 

Felt the slight tweak of a cramp (in the back of the right knee up into the lower hammie as usual) as I finished up and was bent in an odd fashion to untie my shoe.  I guess that was the universe reminding me about that little problem that I seem to encounter at Pikes.  Good that I am working on sniffing it out now.  Cracking up at how suddenly everyone seems to be a cramp expert given how some basketball player is dealing with it. Anyways, my biggest vertical day since last August (3k feet plus) and relatively unscathed.  Will continue to up the ante on this. 

Apparently Deena Kastor can’t break 5 in the mile either.  Maybe she should get on the elipti-go and compete with Mary Decker Slaney.

Races come, races go.  West End 3k, Unihill 2k disappear from the downtown series and the Park to Park seems to be done as well.

3 comments:

  1. Nice. Glad to hear you avoided the hen pecking. Did you see the bird? I have not seen it in a while actually, but for a few weeks saw it holding it's ground every time I went through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the bird last week. I found myself pretty aware that I was approaching the junction and that I could encounter the bird, and was glad to see someone already there, eyeballing the map sign up there. Figured if it had not yet harassed them, I was good.

    ReplyDelete