AM – no running. Any chance of getting up early was thrown out as I slept hard with bizarre dreams. We all didn’t roll out of the rack until at least 8.
I knew I would miss some running over here. I did not quite expect it to be this much, but as this is probably a once in a lifetime trip with the kids, I don’t mind. I can feel how the draw of running is equivalent to my daily meditation, and I miss that, but it is no big deal.
I also will look to drive my training to be around this sort of event. For example, I know next June I am going to be on a boat for a week (in the Bahamas). I am pretty sure for that week I won’t run. I will look to take training before it to bring me to almost the break point, so that I then have an expected and well needed break. Several of these sort of cycles are going to occur over the next year.
Heading out with the clan in the AM. We have been heading out anywhere from 8 to 9 in the AM after a quick bite at the BnB (here it is toast and tea/coffee). We usually are out at the sites until about 6 or 7, so the kids are fairly shot after going at it nearly all day.
Some police box … or maybe something else?
Took the train into Blackfriars and walked over to Tate Modern. Hung out there for a few hours. This museum, and the National Gallery are free (there is a suggested donation of 4 quid, but there is really no charge). A wood sculpture JZ liked.
Picasso. I think.
Another sculpted piece JZ liked.
We picked up some snacks at the local grocery in the AM, and in the food area they have these places where you can create art that they then project on this big wall. KZ’s project.
JZ created a “Merica for the win” piece.
KZ contemplating another set of pieces.
We walked out, and checked out the Shakespeare Globe Theater (the last thatched roof building in London since the fire).
Then we walked across the Millennium Bridge to Saint Paul’s Cathedral.
Unknowingly we have built this crescendo of abbeys and churches from Bath to Westminster to Saint Paul’s. Each has been bigger and more elaborate and almost unbelievable in its size and grandeur.
We then did the walk up to the top of the dome, which has three stops as you climb up. You end at the Golden Gallery which is nearly to the top of the dome, giving you an incredible perspective of the city. Admittedly, my middle aged height wigginess was yelling a bit, and I could see it yelling in my daughter’s head a bit too. Sorry about that KZ.
Saint Paul’s is an incredible marvel of a building. We did the crypts as well and the magnitude of the people from history down there is mind numbing.
We stayed for Evensong here as well, and got to sit up in the choir seats – which was pretty amazing. There is no doubt, the song of these voices in this huge hall is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard.
Incredible day.
Nice pictures and I'm really enjoying seeing/hearing about your trip.
ReplyDeleteI love to run on vacations but it usually gets sidelined some how.
Cheers.
Right - it might be different if it were just my wife and me, but with the kids, I feel a need to keep an eye on the flock.
DeleteI will be here for business for the next couple weeks so back to the basics then.