Friday, June 15, 2012

Friday 061512

Busy week in Pittsburgh.  I can’t say “hard” week in Pittsburgh because I don’t think the work I do is particularly hard.  I have mentioned that to some of my coworkers and they get a bit antsy about that, but frankly – desk jockeying with a WLAN connection all day ain’t fire fighting, dealing with IEDs, inner city school teaching or working on NICU.  Heck, it is not even digging ditches.

But in any case, it was a busy week.  From a work perspective, that is good.  From a rest of life balance, not so much.

I think that when we are at home, I am better equipped to build an environment that supports my goals and habits.  I am more inclined to find and turn the screws to calibrate a strong balance between work, family and exercise.  On the road, I get pitched a variety of stuff that throws this off.  Long days filled with meetings,  the obligatory follow ups in the evening, a shift in time zones, and shift in the diet, a different bed.  Alone each is not a big deal.  Collectively, well … it adds up.   Sometimes I can manage around it and fake a balance.  Sometimes I don’t or fail to make it happen.   The changes find holes in my discipline that I have built structural defenses for while I am home.

Anyway, this week was a reminder of that.  Again.  And it helped remind me to keep this running thing in perspective.  For now.  I have even taken the approach of downgrading what I would call “training” to “exercise.”  I see training as going out the door, lacing them up with an eye on a goal – and for me that is a race or some event on some day.  Exercise might look a lot the same but it is free of this race or event requirement.  Your definition might be different but this is my word play. 

In light of that, when in these situations on the road, I am increasingly looking to take advantage of the time when I get the time.  I look to make (as much as possible)  the most out of an “exercise” buck when I get one – and that means 1.)  getting something out of it that is good physically, and 2.) is fun.  Slapping on the spikes this AM accomplished both.  

By the way, putting Hokas on after wearing spikes is pure heaven.

Of course, the other night it did not mean that I accomplished it quite the same way.  I headed out for a few miles after dinner and few beers.  That did not go well.  Particularly as dinner came back up.

Other notes …

I am not sure I will ever do the 100 distance again.  I certainly am interested in doing it, but I have already done one without focusing on it.  No need to do that again.  If I am going to do it again, I am going to train for it.   For me, I know that ain’t 10 miles a day, seven days a week.  I am not sure if I will do that again.   But I am still a fan of the distance.  I will admit getting a bit geeked out seeing the various blog posts as locals in the blogosphere gear in for it – along with a top contender run down.

Quote of the day:  “But, that said, I still want that effing buckle.“

Zone training theory sucks according to Magness.  Actually it is a good read.

Good stuff in this read:  Look to be more interesting.

Back from Pittsburgh tonight, but off to Yellowstone area in the AM to camp with the boy for the week.  Yellowstone!  Avoiding grizzlies = speed training.

8 comments:

  1. Don't worry about your son having to out-run the grizzlies GZ,he just has to out-run you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hard work" really just depends on how you want to define hard. As a fellow desk jockey I would agree that I don't consider my work hard. The examples you list would certainly be harder, but I think that is because they are either more stressful or physically demanding. I think mentally challenging would be a better description than hard.

    Enjoy the week in yellowstone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember all too well that challenge of work/life balance while on the road. Everything feels just a tad off and you aren't quite in your stride. Exercise rarely hits the zone; I can't even imagine trying to train while on the road. I think part of finding balance is knowing that you need to redefine what it looks like when you're out of your home zone. Seems like you're there. Nice. And PS - Avoiding grizzlies = speed training. Hilarious. Be safe!

    Thanks for the shout out via link. I appreciate it. Happy to have found this forum to keep up with you and your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa - thanks for the kind comment. I enjoy your posts greatly (even if I do not comment on them all). I hope you are well and happy.

    This year I have opted to be less concerned about my endurance and racing goals. Frankly, there are things more important. I knew that ... but it came ridiculously crystal clear (through slightly misty eyes) while sitting with my son at Old Faithful. He said ... "Dad, this is so cool." Pretty priceless. The head sized soft serve ice cream cone afterwards was not aligned with anything training related, but I think it was good for my heart. I guess that is cardio training of some sort.

    No grizzly encounters. Glad about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good read from Magness. I feel that the use of zones works well in a coach/ athlete situation where communication is key. If an athlete tells me that they ran a hard tempo run, that can be taken many ways. But if an athlete tells me they ran a tempo run with the first 5 miles in Zone 3 then the last 5 miles in Zone 4 I then have a better understanding of exactly what they did. And visa versa... if I tell an athlete to run moderate that's a bit vague. But if I give them zone guides they will have a more descriptive protocol to follow. Zones definitely have their place and can be used very effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucho ... I agree. The only thing that bugs me about zone training is the typical spin off conversation that comes about "a middle zone." This is a zone that is not too hard, or not too easy ... there is some belief that there is little value in doing training in this zone. Unscientifically, and actually anecdotally, I am not inclined to agree with that. There is also the topic of whether training in one zone precludes, or trumps training in other zones (for example, if one goes above MAF - how long are they screwed in training that system - the one we have discussed at length).

    But in any case - there is a place for zones. (I refer to Brett's Lucho rules for things on HR).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bret's rules we're spot on which "proves" the effectiveness of vague rules! And I agree that that middle/grey zone is highly effective! It's called tempo (not threshold) and is about marathon pace. You also have to consider the period that you're in. Early on yes, the grey zone isn't ideal. But as Canova and the Africans have demonstrated once you hit the final marathon specific phase then that grey zone is the key to racing well. And my views on MAF have certainly shifted over the years since I became just a runner. Definitely for SOME athletes it is still the shit... but what I have seen with many athletes is a good development in aerobic economy with a drop off in muscular strength. If an athlete can take the time to develop their MAF to it's full potential then eventually you will see muscular development as the pace at MAF becomes tempo effort, but VERY few athletes can actually do this. With my background (base)of training at MAF I am able to do this. I recently ran 1:12 on my 10 mile/ 2000ft vertical route with an average of 142 HR. That's 7:12 pace on a very difficult course at high altitude. IE: I was getting muscular strength (tempo)training at MAF. But I doubt that I could ever coach a new athlete to do the same. Most often I get an athlete that is so weak aerobically that they are literally fast hiking to stay in MAF! From a purely muscular development standpoint this will not develop their muscles to handle a hard marathon. So there has to be a compromise! I think I just got off point. Anyway... I have definitely been shifting myself and my athletes over to a more PE based training particularly on the tempo runs. How we feel most often times is far more important than what a watch tells us to feel. I also see a huge correlation between the Central Governor and HR. The same goes with pace per mile. Anyway, that grey zone is a huge key to peaking but it has to be utilized at the correct time in training. Early on I do think you may be better off running harder and shorter. And then as the race nears you slowly reduce the intensity and increase the duration... IE: the long tempo run which is run in that grey zone!
    I'm resting big time. That paired with 2 cups of coffee is leaving me bouncing off the walls! Sorry for the ramble.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that course, and 72 on it at that HR is the shit. I could do 72 on that course, but I would probably average 30 beats higher.

    I love the rambling. Probably cuz I don't see it as rambling.

    ReplyDelete