Thursday, June 5, 2014

Thursday 060514

In my head this is how I hoped I would look at the mile tonight.

image

No, JT, not the guy attempting flight on the left.  Yeah, 50 year anniversary of that guy breaking four as a high schooler  (…video of that if interested).

Well, blew up on the third lap and came up quite a bit short.  Opened with a 77 (spotting 57, 58 for the first 300) and it felt like I was over my head.  Came back in 79 for lap two, but I was catching some folks and moving around okay.  Came up on a guy in lap three and made the rookie mistake of sitting there for a bit because I was not ready to keep pressing and that was an abysmal 82.  Finished the last 3/4 of a lap in 60, so not much of a rally back. 

With the decimals it came out to be 4:59 for the 1500, so a couple of handfuls short of what I thought I was.  So not a great night, but I am more motivated to improve on that than disappointed.  No legs or lungs tonight, and I got the first lung rattle going for the season.  As I suspected coming in, I need to get some work done and guts for lap 3.

I contemplated the 800 but I chickened out of it when Steve from work asked if I’d help him in the 3000.  Running at 6 minute pace an hour later versus sub 5 pace 15 minutes later seemed to be much more desirable.  He fell off after 4 laps quite a bit.  Six minute pace seems hugely easier than 5:30 pace for me.  Hugely.

Anyway, I love the track events the BRR puts on.  The old timers, the Olympians, the kids, the races of all types (holy crap the high hurdles are HIGH) the setting of the Flatirons behind the track, just a great time, even if my seventh grade self was better than me tonight.

11.8 miles on the day with the events and the jogging before, after and in between.

Today’s listening … Hans Zimmer’s Black Hawk Down soundtrack is incredible for running.

6 comments:

  1. ZACK IS BACK, BABY!!!!!

    Sure wish it was easier to get up there for those meets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it be great if I could get down there for things like the Garden, Elk Park.

      Delete
  2. I have no idea what you are talking about here, may as well be speaking Klingon, but sounds fast to me, nice work! Most likely faster than you give yourself credit for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running blog quotes of the week contenders here...

    "No, JT, not the guy attempting flight on the left"

    "may as well be speaking Klingon"

    The nice thing about an 800 is I could run it at 8:00 pace and still be done sooner than the 3k.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JV - a couple of these meets would be great for you. I know you'd have to shower afterwords to get the flat nature of the event off but ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mtnrunner2, I think you have a bit more than 8 minute pace. Besides, at that pace, you could actually get lapped by some of the younguns who are cracking sub 2.

    ReplyDelete