Monday, May 2, 2011

Monday 050211

Registered for BTMR this AM.  I considered going for a comp entry, but frankly – there is a chance I won’t be able to even make this race and I’d rather not ask for an entry and then be in the stupid position of having to bow out.  And it would be a stretch for me to get such an entry anyway (fourth master last year and there is more talent in the field this year).

AM – 4 miles, dog jog.  Tired because I was up late watching the news.

Does this guy continue to confound the age curve this year?

On the on-going search for “curious” records at Pikes, I got a note where someone noted this: 

Mike and Eva Hagen in 2003 is definitely up there for same year spouses:  2:34 and 3:04.
http://www.skyrunner.com/search/find.asp?Last=Hagen
And this one blew me away last year:
http://www.skyrunner.com/search/find.asp?Last=Meyer&First=Philip
2:47 for a 16 year old in his rookie attempt!!  And from wave 2 no less.
And his dad, David Meyer, ran a 3:13 in the same race.

PM – 9 miles.  Definitely rolling faster and easier in the afternoons than the wee wake up of the morning.  AMs are creaky and PMs are not. 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder GZ! Barr is going to be my A race of the summer. Granted, I am not too sure what "A" race means. Perhaps it refers to the grade of the butt-kicking I will receive. It's all good though--after exams, I will take A's any way I can get them.

    Also, my uninformed vote is for you to hop in the 25 this weekend. Following your training, I really think you are coiled and ready to pounce on the summer, and I'd be worried that the residual issues that come with a 50 might be tough. That being said, you'll do awesome either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dave (But feel he'll be doing the ass kicking) that you should just play it by feel; if you feel good after 25, head back out for another loop. If not, then don't. No biggie either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of Matt's, so I'll still be pulling for him to win any race on the peak when he's 80.

    Well, I'd love to run the 50 with you on Saturday, but certainly understand your focus the rest of the year doesn't involve going that long. I think the BV forecast is looking really nice right now. 65 and sunny. If that holds true, I may stay out there until they close the course...celebrating the warm (and hopefully not windy) weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads up, I totally forgot. I am reluctant to sign up until I am confident in my Achilles (whenever that may be) though I suspect that will be too late if it is not already?

    (A side gripe but associated……)

    I find it frustrating that registration is so far out from race day, especially races like Pikes, as it is so hard to predict in March what kind of physical state you will be in come August. That is one (of many) reasons I don’t care to race. I can see it for smaller fledgling races where it is hard to predict how many participants there will be, but well established races that sell out every year are easy to predict. Does it really take 5 or 6 months to take names/info/payment and assign a race number?

    ReplyDelete
  5. On a side note, I still have no idea how he can carry water bottles like that. I'm sure he knows down to the ounce how much effort it takes to hold it in your hand and swing it back and forth for hours. But still. Maybe he sweats stickum instead of how regular human beings do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Dave - thanks for the kind words of support. Looking forward to finally meeting you out here soon. Barr is probably my favorite mountain race out there. It has a bit of tough, the up, the down, -- but not so crazy tough that you are leveled for a week. It is a blast.

    Footfeathers - yeah, that is the plan. Of course, I have been feeling okay at 25 and shellacked at 30.

    Woody - yeah, I am a Matt fan as well. I hope he keeps crackin younger skulls up there for a long time.

    JV - good point! I have talked to people who used to do race day reg at Pikes. That was like ... the 90s or something.

    Brett - it is definitely alien. Like his VO2 max. He actually uses that bottle as a third lung extension.

    ReplyDelete