Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thursday 050511

Well, a bit more than I probably should have done today, but I was just having a blast out there.  It felt like summer.  Finally.  Ah, soak up the Vitamin D.  13 miles, 2000 feet of climbing over at the Flatirons Vista. Not too worried as it was super easy, and 500 of that vertical came in about a half mile that I was walking.  Took the downs super easy too to keep everything in check.

I wore the Technica’s that I am testing out and they grip great, but they are bit stiff (new) so I got a little blister (not smart 2 days before a 50).  The climb up towards Mickey Mouse is excellent, and I might go back to that given its beautiful single track, great views and secluded nature (about a half mile averaging greater than 22 percent and with sections pitching greater than 30).

IMG-20110505-00251 
IMG-20110505-00252

Two quotes from the trail today …

Me:  “is that dog a German Wire Hair?
Him:  “Yup.”
Me:  “Good looking dog.”
Him:  “His name is Ugly”

Me:  “Good looking horse.”
Her:  “Thank you.  Good looking body.”
Me:  “Thank you.” (grin)

Booked a ticket to Tel Aviv today. 

Probably an easy 5 or so tomorrow.  Today’s weather had me feeling good enough to consider the 50 more strongly for Saturday.  It really comes down to this:  am I living for Saturday or for other stuff this summer.  I can take this either way.  I should run the 50 on Saturday because I have no idea what is going to come between now and August … and it is new, it is something I have not done.  Or I should not run it to show discipline to prepare for August so I have no excuses then.

Whatever.  It will be a game day call.

Insane PP Triathlon idea.

Heckuva spring.

20 comments:

  1. August is still a long ways off. Run the 50. Just have fun with it. With one under the belt, you'll have a time to best the next time you run a race of that distance. So, super easy tomorrow...no "more than I should have" junk! Hell, go crazy and take the day off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say run it and enjoy the beauty of the Arkansas Valley Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the spirit, get your money's worth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck in the 50 on Saturday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heck, at your age, you might not even be around in August.... ;). Go for the 50!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll need company on the back 25. Get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all

    JP - day off? Crazy talk.
    Jaime - it is beautiful up there. Have considered that as the place to be once the crumb grabbers get off.
    Mike - see you Saturday! Looking forward to meeting.
    NMP - you know, I have to bring your name up everytime I mention the Boulder 100 as a possible first.
    HappyTrails - thanks!
    JV - do I know you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sean - You will be waiting a while if you are looking for company from me. If it is dos laps, I expect it to be a slog on the way back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aha, so this is how we can tell if you take an "easy" day: you stop for photos. Looks like a nice run.

    I never get compliments from chicks on horseback. Maybe I need to show more thigh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An "easy 5 or so tomorrow"? I recommend not doing that. I can't promise FootFeathers and I don't let animals in the cabin just for the sake of watching you chase them out...could be a long night for GZ. Flying squirrels are a bitch.



    (totally kidding and grateful! maybe.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to do an easy 20 mile shake out run today, then beat on my knees with a roofing hammer. Hopefully, I can walk to the start line tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Skatona - unlikely. Old man Footfeathers has a bed time of about 4PM and given I won't get there until 8, he will be well past being to pull of any sort of tomfoolery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mtnrunner - I had on half tights so there was no thigh exposed (this time).

    ReplyDelete
  14. C'mon, 4pm? That's ridiculous. Jeopardy is on at 6pm, so I'm at least up for that.
    I'm bringing a gallon of gas and a full box of matches. We'll have a nice, warm fire going for you by the time you arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jorge, my 2 cents do the 50, try something new. You'll recover fast with your base. Plus if you really are looking at a longer race later in the year like the Boulder 100 you need to get something like the CP50 under your belt. My 2 cents...worth 0.005 of a gallon of gas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Muchas gracias Brad. Watching your build up to GB with anticipation.

    Brett ... that is the current thought. I will see. If things are hacking up at the end of the first loop, I'll pull the plug. Otherwise, game on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Go for it! Run smart and I think you will surprise yourself with a good time.

    ReplyDelete