Saturday, May 14, 2011

Saturday 051411

AM – aspirations to get out, but I needed to catch up on sleep.  I was up from essentially 2AM to 10PM yesterday, and so hit the rack pretty hard last night.

JZ and I headed to the AMT Readyman event for Webelos today.

IMG-20110514-00270

In addition to finding the CPR protocols that had changed interesting, I was suddenly in a flashback:  the course was at the Lowry campus.  I had not been here in over 23 years.  Suddenly found myself walking a little straighter and taller.  This  is a picture of my dorm.  I lived here for six months.  It does not appear to be in use at current.  Many of the other local buildings are in use by Community College of Denver.

IMG-20110514-00269

Old class building.  I went to school here to learn navigation systems for B-52s.  I later learned to install some super secret system that was about getting navigational data from satellites in the sky (now know as GPS).

 IMG-20110514-00267

Nothing new here, but another article on the brain-body connection in endurance.

Mock has an article up on RT on a couple of ultra ladies that are in the OT marathon.  I never danced with the OT number for the marathon, but I certainly don’t think the standard for women is on par with the standard for men for that distance.  This doesn’t mean a person has not worked hard to achieve either standard though.

Evening – 11 miles, 3 miles tempo out the door (19:15), mile recovery, 3 miles tempo (18:20), mile recovery and then 30 second strides with 2:30 jogging home.  Was drizzling rain when I started and pretty good pour going at the finish.

4 comments:

  1. Good call on CPR, didn't know the new research and protocol there.
    Agreed on OT times, though I'm nowhere near that world to have an incredibly valid opinion...but the common thread on CPR, OT times, and the previous post on "pseudo-science" is having a data-driven, scientific rationality for things. The OT times are one example with a current male/female imbalance...there are plenty of examples skewed the other way...and I'm all for making fair arguments based on the data.

    That said, those examples of standards are still "very very hard" so even if other standards are statistically harder, that doesn't take away from all qualifiers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good catch on that cross theme Mike (but not surprising to me that you picked up on that).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It appears your son would be of far more use in any emergency than I would. Not to mention firing homemade rockets at the enemy in the event of an invasion.

    >some super secret system that was about getting navigational data from satellites in the sky

    That's ridiculous. Next thing you know people will want something to watch TV that will fit in their pocket.

    Pretty cool.

    I'd almost forgot about checkered linoleum, evven though I spent years staring at it, daydreaming. Haven't set foot in an school building in a while, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old military school building to boot.

    ReplyDelete