Sunday, May 8, 2011

Saturday 050811

Longer report coming but quick update… split the first half in 3:40-3:45 ish and was feeling great.  Headed out for a second lap and was moving well.    Checked in at aid station 3 (3 stations to go) and figured if I could average 10 minute miles, I’d be under 8 hours.  It would be challenging but do-able.  Came up to 39 miles, expecting to see aid station 2 – but it was aid station 1.  Asked how many were ahead of me and heard “one.”  Realized right there I had taken a wrong turn somewhere.  Contemplated for a moment going back and correcting the mistake, but that would turn this 50 miler into something longer.  Shuffled-jogged-walked it in, and suddenly, without the objective of a race in the mix, the 9 minute miles that had felt fine were replaced by 13 minute miles that felt horrible.  Ended up with 45 miles.

Here is a shot of where I made the wrong turn:

image

Longer post coming – learned a lot out there about ultras, nutrition, my feet, downhills, people, myself, selfishness, the sport, the brain …

Obviously disappointed to not be an ultrarunner yet, but it would not be me if there was not some significant drama to all this.

24 comments:

  1. Ah! Sorry to hear it man. Based on the number of wrong turns I read in race reports, that would be a prime concern for me. Still 25 miles in that time with that vert is fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a drag George. Obviously the fitness was there based on your first lap, which is a good sign. Everything else hold up for you? Have a great day and recover well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer!

    "Obviously disappointed to not be an ultrarunner yet" - I'm not sure I would say that...you ran 45 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about the wrong turn / shortcut. Hope you can take the positives out of it. YOU DID 45 MILES. Start w/ that. You came 1st in the CP 45 mile "let's see where this trail goes" race. Did I mention that you ran 45 MILES. Great job, looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a bummer, but you handled it awesomely.
    This sentence (I know it's tongue-in-cheek)
    "Obviously disappointed to not be an ultrarunner yet"
    contradicts this sentence:
    "Learned a lot out there about ultras, nutrition, my feet, downhills, people, myself, selfishness, the sport, the brain"

    Getting lost, having an awesome performance (yesterday) or in the Grand Canyon or up Bear from your house that doesn't "count", and thinking about the things you listed above -- you most certainly *are* an ultrarunner. Heckuva run, you kept it solid in the 2nd half. Nice meeting you out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always lots of drama in ultra-land. Glad to hear you were gunning for the 50, though. I always enjoy your perspective on things and look forward to the report.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how you feel...I dropped out of a 50 last fall. Sure you are disappointed, but you will get over it. You ARE an ultra runner...you just ran a different race than everyone else yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was awesome seeing you out there doing so well and obviously having a great time. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You lost to Brownie too! Welcome to the club.

    ReplyDelete
  10. all part of the adventure!

    so, what's your next ultra going to be then?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brandon - ha! 2 times in the last two weeks actually!

    Footfeathers - thanks for everything leading up to this. You have been a great comrade in arms along the way. Thank you.

    Jim - totally over it. I was over it by the time I got back to the road and was jogging it in.

    Brownie - drama queen! That must be my horse racing name! Of course this is coming from the guy (you) who when I asked why he did not finish some 100 he said "I was a p***Y!" You go old smelling brown hat. Well done yesterday. Hope the sunburn ain't too bad.

    ChrisB - thanks!

    Mike - awesome job out there yesterday and great meeting you. You kept me honest through the middle there! Way to kill that course PR!

    Craig - thanks! You know sometimes I think the finish numbers with an ultra are less scary than the intermediate numbers. Like a 100 does not seem so bad when you 100. But when you say 72 miles, with 28 to go, hold on - that sounds really scary.

    NMP - thanks. BTW - everyone think Boulder 100 for a first 100 is insane.

    HappyTrails - yeah it was going good. No real soreness today either. Maybe my feet a little but I am good to go. I may take the day off anyway but I feel good.

    Mtnrunner - FWIW - Ryan Burch, who won ran the 25 in 3:08. AND HE WON THE 50 (and was actually first to the line for all runners on the first lap) That is crazy, as I won the 25 in 3:07 one year.

    Okay - this entire I am not an untra runner thing ... I have set an arbitrary standard here for myself and I realize others may set other standards. For me, completing some run of 27 miles does not make me an ultrarunner. It might make someone else one, but not me. I need to run in a competition and complete that. I am not upset that I have not met that definition yet.

    So, disappointed a bit that it did not come yesterday but, that is what it is. Learned a lot there along the way. And it was still my longest run ever. So ... MANY MORE POSITIVES ON THE DAY THAN NEGATIVES. In that light, I am pretty happy with the weekend. I would have been happier with a sub 8 50 or even a finish - but I made that choice at aid station 1. All part of the ride ...

    (back to the yard work)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Subconciously you thought you were turning around to run it in with JT...

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sucks...but more so because it looked you were tee'd up perfectly for a great run when you crossed halfway. Nobody got sick, hurt, or so on, and you got 45 miles done. Success. I guess you need to go find another 50 miler to sign up for in a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you got a good taste of what a 50 is like - you'll be ready for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should still get a "50M" tattoo on your ankle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha! I would agree/disagree depending on the person. It is a very easy course, so in that sense it makes an easy 100. BUT, you have to go in with the mindset that you will finish 100 miles since it is far too easy to drop. If you go in with the right mindset (and are fairly stubborn, like me) I would say it is pretty easy. Essentially, I think it is either an easy or hard race depending on the personality of the runner. Can't say I know you enough to say whether it would be good or bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Justin - Maybe to put some sunscreen on him. He was quite a lobster at the finish.

    Rick - quite an appetizer.

    Mike - that is definitely the ticket. Maybe a 45, then I can X that out when I get 50.

    NMP - yeah, good feedback. At 38 miles I was thinking, "hmmm ... MAYBE I could pull this sort of gig all day and do a hundred. Respect the distance, but I can see it." At 40 miles, after finding out what had happened I was thinking "why in the name of the heavens would anyone ever want to do 2 of these?"

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Why in the name of the heavens would anyone ever want to do 2 of these?"

    HA! Yea to put it in perspective, 4 sets of your 25 mile pace would have given you a hundred in around 15 hours. Can you imagine? People actually do that. [shaking head]

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey GZ, Good effort out there and good to chat at the end. If it wasn't for the scenic diversion a sub 8 would have been in the bag. I am still pretty blown away by Ryan's time, that was a pretty awesome display. See you at Dirty Thirty, it seems to be the same cast of characters with a bunch more fast people added to the mix. Should be a good time.
    -T

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was a pretty sweet shortcut! Glad to hear you didn't let it ruin what looked like a great day on the trails. Hats off to you for not settling for the JV course. Now just don't run to the Bottomless Pit on August 21.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great to meet you up there, but I still can't believe I forced a handshake upon exiting the bathroom stall. Sorry about that! After seeing what you have done on Pikes, I'm not surprised at all that you made running 45 miles up there look easy. Hopefully you'll get the 50 mile bug again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I ran 12 miles last week. Even my brain hurts reading about running as far as you do. Wow. Despite the wrong turn, congrats on being out there running that kind of mileage! That is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Brett - yeah, still ... that quite up there with back to back 61 minute half marathons.

    Rob - I know where the Pit is and unless things are going really bad I ain't running to it.

    Woody - good meeting you and solid finish man. I meant the run, not the can. Solid finish, err ... no sweat, really - I thought I was the one who offered the handshake.

    Lize - Thanks! My head hurts too. But my feet hurt more. Hope everything is well in your world!

    ReplyDelete