AM – 10 miles, easy. Clicking along around 7:40-8 for these runs these days on the roads, and Broomfield trails. No HR monitor as that battery is dead, but I have a pretty good feel for it given I have worn it nearly every day for 2 years.
This gives me 71 on the week, 184 on the month. Good news is that I bounced back well from the 45, was able to get some workouts in that felt pretty decent (I shook the general bleh that I was carrying for a couple weeks there), and maintained some level of consistency, even with travel to the east. Still not very structured or disciplined in getting after it right now though. This might be a good thing – as just being consistent can provide building blocks and then you sharpen the saw … but at the same time I feel (know) that I am not doing the “bigger” training necessary to get a certain level of result. No sweat though – it is what it is.
Reality of is that my work travel has picked up quite a bit, and there are a lot of other things going. KZ had her last soccer game of the spring season this weekend.
JZ’s Cub Scout pack had the rocket launch.
Decent shot of the launcher (10 pad) with the count down rocket next to it (faces whited out of folks I did not ask to put their pic up of)
The launch went well today.
This is JZ’s last launch event with this pack so while it went well …. I am going to write down a few things here to consider for improvements to the whole event for future consideration. No order … just some thoughts …
1.) We had to cut back on kids chasing rockets when they come down out of the sky because some come down like flaming knives if their chutes don’t deploy.
2.) The igniters are the worst most flimsy part I have ever seen produced so that needs to be possibly addressed.
3.) The alligator clips, connectors for the launcher need to be replaced. They still function but many could use the same level of overhaul that the launch rods got this past year (there were ZERO issues with the launch rods).
4.) We could consider purchasing some additional launchers (3 pad?) as the 10 pad rarely gets all ten rockets off. More launchers may mean a lesser queue line.
5.) We have kept a general approach of smaller rockets to larger rockets for the younger to older Cubs. This could be possibly revisited for more of a common rocket … not sure I’d go that route but something to discuss.
6.) There is some thought that the voltage on the rocket launcher could be out of kilter (which throws the launches off) but I think it is those damn igniters.
7.) I had a few fire extinguishers on the site that we purchased this year, just in case something went awry but the weather made it so that was probably not really necessary.
8.) We parked down on the sidewalk down at the MS field. After being down there for about 10 minutes, Broomfield’s finest showed up and told us they had been brought there for a complaint about parking. Not sure who we ticked off by parking down there but we stayed on the sidewalk versus the grass – as the grass was pretty soft. The police were super cool about it and told us that if they had any more concerns raised they ask us to move our cars but they were okay with it for now. They were actually interested in seeing the launch but had to get to work.
9.) Used tarps because of the wet grass, but that collected the trash of the igniters, etc pretty well under the launcher.
Did you get in trouble for the pics, or just being proactive?
ReplyDeleteProactive.
ReplyDeleteI like that Mac Daddy black and yellow rocket. Take out a couple hot air balloons with that thing.
ReplyDeleteMaybe it was because I got kicked out of scouts, but all of my memories of those kinds of rockets involve a hand held launching pad and shooting them at my friends down the street...
ReplyDeleteHand held launch pad? Damn.
ReplyDeleteThat big rocket is the the count down device.