Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sunday 052911

So apparently now you can be sued if you are a seismologist and don’t predict earthquakes.  Brilliant.

Fittest cities in America

What are you doing July 23rd?  I might do this if I am around … never have done the Incline.

Caught wind that BRR standard bearer Dr. Irving Weiss passed away.  Glad I got to run with this fine gentleman.  He was amazing to see running with us at Purple Runner in his 80s.

New single crossing of Grand Canyon FKT.

5 miles easy in Omaha, somewhere in middle America.  Legs have felt pretty dead again here for most of the week – surely an outcome of travel and associated diet choices.  Platar F is barking too, but that is probably because I was tearing up the dance floor last night in dress shoes.  Anyway – expecting to run the Memorial Day 5 miler tomorrow out here.  Will see if I can hold it under sixes, although there is little reason to think that I can do that since that is a challenge for me at 5 right now.

We are sharing a hotel room with the kids while here.  The close quarters makes for some interesting challenges – for the kids.  They are not fond of the fact that I have running clothes in this single room.  Mix in that those clothes end up wet and sweaty (versus a drier stink in CO) and they are really protesting.

Been using the Pandora app for runs on lately.  The RCPM channel pops up a band that I am digging, Cross Canadian Ragweed.  Might need to check out more of their stuff.

I end the week with 71 miles, with 61 of that coming on 5 days.  Not quite the week I wanted, but I am still working through what I can do and better discipline on these weeks with travel.  Solo business travel I might be able to swing a 100 mile week, but when I travel with my team, I have yet to demonstrate the ethic to get up at 4AM to put in bigger miles, or to push workouts.  There is a part of me that sees that I am not doing that work and I realize there will be a price to pay for that, but there is a (significant) part of me that does not really care or get worked up about this (hence the results).  It is a back and forth in my head: 
Hey, no sweat – I can turn the screws in June and July and it will come.  Yeah, you said that about April and May too.  Well, I have a good base.  Of road miles and nothing really working hard.  Well, I am keeping a balance better between work, family and running.  Fine, just don’t expect running to be significantly better in terms of performance.  I think I am okay with that.  I mean, really, I think I am okay.  Except when you think you can do … Whatever, there is plenty of time.  Sure, but will you use it? 

I think I have 355 miles on the month, and 1557 on the year.

4 comments:

  1. Yes you got to do the incline! Just not sure you want to do it for 6 hours however. I don't think I will do 6 hours maybe a couple hours would suffice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denver was way down at #20, then I moved here, so now we're at #5.

    (just practicing the talk in case I race brownie some day. aka me following brownie about 40% back in the pack)

    I would expect earthquake lawsuits in North Korea, but not modern Italy. They have a worse tort problem than we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw the earthquake thing a few days ago - kind of odd. There are some (crackpots) in my field that claim they can 'predict' earthquakes based on signals in the atmosphere. Personally think it is kind of BS...the joke is that they can always predict them after they happen.

    See you next weekend - hopefully you will finally be an ultrarunner in your mind next Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brad - ah, six hours won't be that bad. Plus it will steel your legs up for NF50.

    Jeff - there are NO lawsuits in North Korea as far as I know.

    Nick - signals in the atmosphere? Holy crap, I can't even imagine the story behind that.

    ReplyDelete