After 5 years (I think, maybe 4, certainly at least 3), my 8GB flash drive nano IPod seems to have played its last mp3-podcast-RCPM song. I will have to consider what an appropriate funeral experience will be for it. I will float with my phone-camera-mp3 player thingie for now. No biggie.
Interesting interview on fueling here.
Still feel a bit dead, but 10 miles, sub 8s, low 140s HR. I might just need some turn over to blast this out.
I find this rather epic.
On a couple of the blogs I read, there have been folks who have been weighing in with some outright, well rude feedback. Okay, I recognize that most feedback in the blogosphere is “dude you are so killin’ it” and “awesome” workout – to the point it is piled pretty deep. We tend to blow a bit of too much positive smoke at each other.
So with that in mind, I am nonetheless okay with the constructive feedback of “umm, dude, you might be overtraining” or “hey do you think maybe you are chasing mileage numbers a bit too much?” variety.
When the feedback comes laced with outright insulting commentary, and from the behind title of “anonymous” – even if there is something intelligent in the message, you can basically throw the whole message away. I guess I have been blessed that the folks who have been kind enough to give me constructive feedback have given it directly to my face (or if they are at a distance, an email where they are identifiable), and if they want to lay into me a bit – they do it privately. For what it is worth, I have called this the “Bridge Rule” of management (not original, but I don’t recall where I heard this ST reference). You praise in public, you criticize in private. Even if someone does something outright stupid in public, you don’t call them out on the bridge. Take ‘em to the ready room to take the gloves off.
Got some "positive smoke" for you.... I'm sort of new to this blogging thing, I find yours one that I am drawn to the most b/c it's not really a rant, or bragging, or even smoke blowing - its something I can relate to (just not at the same speed).
ReplyDeleteCritics of Nick's plans? You gotta be kidding me. I was thinking "Wow, more power to him!" :\
ReplyDeleteI use what's maybe a variation of your Bridge Rule. I endeavor not to say anything I wouldn't say to someone's face (admittedly, I don't always succeed).
Not only does it prevent some pain, but it forces me to really think things through from someone else's viewpoint and justify what I'm saying beforehand. And of course it ups the level of respect.
It's tough to apply at work. Everybody needs to vent now and then. But habitual, unproductive griping is just corrosive. At work, and in the blogotorium.
Speaking of negative, here's hoping you don't not do a great run on Saturday ;)
Hey Craig - thanks. Hope to meet you soon (BTMR I think our paths cross) and share a few strides.
ReplyDeleteMtnrunner2 - the Cloud character is one that comes to mind as of late. There MIGHT be some validity in some of the things he is saying but I have a tough time hearing it when he is blatantly insulting in a public formum, and not revealing of who he (or she) is (and then claims to be a friend).
Completely agree with your thoughts on communication. Email drive bys have become common (work or otherwise) - sort of like the guy who flips you the finger when they drive but they won't do that when they are not in the safety of their vehicle.
If we meet at BTMR it's likely you'll be flying down while I'm stumbling up still :)
ReplyDeleteDid some more thinking 'bout a PP Tri http://knuckledraggingrunner.blogspot.com/2011/05/pikes-peak-triathlon.html
I saw that! It is in my list of things to go back and read and comment on. Seriously - someone would die on that ... a bike ride down!!!
ReplyDeleteAs I'm winding down a bit on this blogosphere thingy, I have to say your journey has been pretty interesting from my pov. In the beginning (cue music), I loved our MAF debates (Lucho the spiritual leader, me a newborn, and you a classic skeptic).
ReplyDeleteNow, as I'm sure you know, you're a fullblown MAFer. Classic.
Eh - I am not sure I am completely tied in with Mr. Maffetone's principles if that is what you mean by MAF.
ReplyDeleteOf course, that comes with me outright stating, I am not a sport physiologist or scientist.
Generally I agree with a lot of what is indicated there ... base building, strong aerobic development, etc - being the focus in particular for endurance events (let's say the marathon and beyond).
That said, I also think to get a MAF benefit requires that you are going longer more regularly. In other words, running at MAF 3x a week for 20 minutes is not going to progress your fitness (unless you are a new athlete, new to that sport). It might require 80, 90 minutes or more. For most folks I have met - that is a tough commitment with their lifestyles.
Also, I have a bit of an issue with some of the declaratives of how the development of one system compromises the development of another system. Or that the development of the systems is exclusive. I am not sure I agree with that. Again, I am no scientist, so my disagreement can be simply waved off.
I also think - and again perhaps incorrectly - that as an athlete ages, there may be more benefit in the explosive, shorter, intervally work. I have wonder if there is detriment - maybe particular to running, if the long extensive MAF stuff becomes detrimental to the muscular skeletal system.
In the end, Lucho and I agree a lot more on than what we disagree on. In fact, the last time I saw Lucho he told me it was time for me to suffer a bit with some killer workouts. Glad he told me to my face (tying back to that other part of the post).
In any case, it comes down to getting out there and moving more than not.
GZ -- "MAF benefit requires that you are going longer... It might require 80, 90 minutes or more"
ReplyDeleteThat's about what I determined this winter, which is why I upped my daily run to at least 7 miles, which for me has worked out to 1:05-1:15. Close enough to 80. For me just that last 15 minutes pushed me into the zone where I first started to feel some fatigue, and I saw the strenth build when I regularly did that.
I'm still not sure if it's relative, i.e. if I will keep pushing that requirement out as I run longer workouts.
As Lucho once said 'magical things happen when you run beyond 90 minutes'. So I think thats probably a key part of MAF considerations for more advanced athletes.
ReplyDeleteAlso, GZ you said the word 'intervally'. So you get bonus points on the day.