Neat vid with Geoff. With the WS event getting closer, the chatter getting louder – I find myself in that position where I want to see all these guys kill it, unlike wanting some baseball or basketball team win over another. I have the privilege of knowing many of the top guys, either personally, or having gotten to know them to some extent through their blogs. I can see the time, effort, passion, sweat they put into this, and I can at some level relate to that. And so, I can’t find myself saying I am cheering for anyone of them over another one of them – as much as I am rooting for all of them.
I guess, at the end I’d love a 400 yard sprint on that track in Auburn between the top guys, course records fall, photo finish, IVs administered … The likelihood of that happening is incredibly small of course, but … well, it would be epic.
There will be clearly winners and losers at that race, like any race, folks who have good days and bad, those who make the top ten and those who don’t … I want to see them transcend themselves through the competition with each other.
It is time to pile it on. People have been phoning up the wahmbulance about the weather, and I have my own set of excuses in terms of how training has gone this spring (travel, etc). But there is still time to make a good go of it.
PM - hooked up with Footfeathers in the afternoon over at the Boulder Res. Got in a couple of miles with him and then we did a couple of laps around the res. The weather was perfect, but just as we were finishing up the second lap, Boulder clearly had some heavy duty weather blowing in. Seeing the lightning, and counting out the thunder, I was calculating the storm to be about four miles away. I had about 3 miles of running left. I elected to do the Coot Lake loops to keep it close. The weather really blew in at 19 miles and so I was heading back over to the Tom Watson lot. As I got in there, I saw lightning hit the ground, about a half mile away, and light up the ground HUGE. 19.75 miles and I was done after seeing that. I have a quarter mile from my extra "error" covering on other runs from this week anyway. In any case, this was a very relaxed "20" averaging 7:50 pace. Felt great.
No excuses. You reap what you sow.
ReplyDeleteAn aside: Reap - as in the verb - sounds not nearly as formidable as the noun for one who reaps.
I have exactly the same perspective when tracking races like WS & Hardrock. Just want to see everyone go out and have an epic day.
ReplyDeleteIt hasn't been nearly as bad as we make it out to be. Ran home in the peak of the downpour yesterday and it was fun, though b/c I'm racing in Portland next week it better be.
ReplyDelete"Coot" Lake? lol
ReplyDeleteI've been petitioning for Cootch Lake. They ignore me.
ReplyDeleteActually, use to be a place where there was quite a bit of nude bathing.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_14805954