Friday, March 23, 2012

Friday 032312

I am expecting to do a little self burying over the next couple of days – and I am both looking forward to it and am a bit nervous.  Looking forward to it because it is gonna be fun.  Nervous because I know it will be tough.  Tomorrow AM I am expecting to hook up with JV for some goofing off on the south end of the Skyline traverse.  Normally this would not be a big deal, but I am not particularly strong on the climbs now, it could be aggravating to my Achilles, and JV climbs as if he acting in some lesser form of gravity.  Sunday I will look to get a longer run in JT and small army of like and right minded folks down at Waterton Canyon on the CT.  Again, this should not be a big deal – as it won’t be a huge mileage weekend from a mileage or vertical perspective --  but coming off the day prior, the overall volume of minutes, and my general lack of fitness right now, I am sure I will be paying the piper a bit.  And that is exactly the intention.  And then I am looking to follow all that up on Monday with more miles and more vertical – and hopefully with some running up at Bill Lee’s place with some burros.  Across all of that, I am hoping to get some gym sessions in as well.  So good times ahead. 

Related to the gym, I am trying to take greater advantage of little pockets of time I have in the work day.  I might get 15 minutes here or there while in the office.  Rather than sit at the desk and fiddle around, I am going to be more conscious of getting to the office gym and banging out a few reps of anything.  I can waste myself pretty quickly with even 10 minutes of lifting.   Just looking for some more time efficiencies.  Of course, I am “that guy” again – working out in the gym in my khakis and button down.

I have been considering that a good deal of the loss of my fitness is a lack of bounce.  This is sort of hard to describe, but Noakes talks quite a bit about in The Lore of Running with the aging athlete (as measured in athletic years, not actual years).  Basically it is a loss of rebound.  I have seen a good deal of evidence in myself, and mostly with my ability to jump.  I was never hopping out of the gym, but I can see that it has greatly greatly diminished in recent years.  No bouncing like this.

Afternoon – very easy 11 miles.  Warm.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my...I'm not sure you could pay me enough $ to do that. I guess it's just a test of confidence...but I value my life a bit too much :).

    Each day I go out for a run, I feel less "bounce". I've been running pretty consistently for 40 years now. My body's letting me know it.

    Looks like you had fun running with the guys today :). You guys ALL put me to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill - how do you deal with the less bounce? I am wondering if there are certain exercises that I could do to help address it.

    I'd probably have a SERIOUS issue sitting on the cliff watching the guy.

    ReplyDelete