Yeah, a chip mat at the A-frame is awesome. Now they just need one at the entry to Ruxton, Hydro Street, the top of the Ws, No Name Creek, the 7.8 sign, Barr Camp, the Bottomless Pit sign, 2 to go and 1 to go.
Of course, I'd add them at the Rock Arch, and the 16 Golden Stairs too.
Actually, I am thinking the A frame one will probably be in the wrong location. It will probably be at the aid station versus where folks typically get the split.
I heard also that w/ KJ running - finishers are getting Spandex shorts instead of shirts. Oh and MC is giving everyone a free Ice Cream who whose descent time is faster than his Ascent time. (just kidding). Craig
The current plan is to put the split right at the A-Frame sign.
The first reason is because that is where Matt's pace calculator marks the split.
The second is that we have better line of sight with the summit for the wireless link. The aid station is down in the trees a bit more. The hope is that we will be able to setup a real time data feed from that location to the summit. This is as much for SAR's benefit as it is the runners so we can get a count of how many are above/below treeline during the race.
Also, technically it will not be a mat, those things are heavy. We are using the 'side antennas' that they offer.
While it would be nice to get one at each of the splits that are listed on Matt's pace calculator, that is a bit cost prohibitive. Each unit cost $10k. If all goes well then the plan is to add two more in the next year or so. So we would most likely place them at NoName and Barr or Hydro and 7.8.
Maybe we can have a poll for where to put the 2nd and 3rd split. I want one at the 1 to go sign and hydro, if only to show the results of going out too fast :-)
Will a split be taken for runners heading down as well in the PPM?
If I had to pick another single location, I'd go top of Ws over Hydro. I think the Hydro split is too easily manipulated by the Ruxton split - which never matches up well as far as I have seen ...
My goal is to have both an up and down split at A-Frame for the PPM.
All of this said, the equipment is still on order. In theory we can do all sorts of stuff but the devil is in the details and we need to drag it up to the top of the peak for some field testing. I have no idea how this system will act once we pull it up to 14,000ft.
The good news is that I did find a pair of folks who are not running the PPA/PPM but are willing to hike the equipment down on Saturday morning, then out again so the batteries can recharge overnight. They then do it again on Sunday. The batteries only last 7-8 hours and a portable generator is out of the question at that site.
And yeah, W's and 1 to go could provide some good data for a nice study in contrasts. :-)
The number of hours Jorge will spend analyzing data post Pikes Peak Marathon just quadrupled.
ReplyDeleteYeah, a chip mat at the A-frame is awesome. Now they just need one at the entry to Ruxton, Hydro Street, the top of the Ws, No Name Creek, the 7.8 sign, Barr Camp, the Bottomless Pit sign, 2 to go and 1 to go.
ReplyDeleteOf course, I'd add them at the Rock Arch, and the 16 Golden Stairs too.
Actually, I am thinking the A frame one will probably be in the wrong location. It will probably be at the aid station versus where folks typically get the split.
I heard also that w/ KJ running - finishers are getting Spandex shorts instead of shirts. Oh and MC is giving everyone a free Ice Cream who whose descent time is faster than his Ascent time. (just kidding).
ReplyDeleteCraig
The current plan is to put the split right at the A-Frame sign.
ReplyDeleteThe first reason is because that is where Matt's pace calculator marks the split.
The second is that we have better line of sight with the summit for the wireless link. The aid station is down in the trees a bit more. The hope is that we will be able to setup a real time data feed from that location to the summit. This is as much for SAR's benefit as it is the runners so we can get a count of how many are above/below treeline during the race.
Also, technically it will not be a mat, those things are heavy. We are using the 'side antennas' that they offer.
While it would be nice to get one at each of the splits that are listed on Matt's pace calculator, that is a bit cost prohibitive. Each unit cost $10k. If all goes well then the plan is to add two more in the next year or so. So we would most likely place them at NoName and Barr or Hydro and 7.8.
Maybe we can have a poll for where to put the 2nd and 3rd split. I want one at the 1 to go sign and hydro, if only to show the results of going out too fast :-)
Awesome insight and update John. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteWill a split be taken for runners heading down as well in the PPM?
If I had to pick another single location, I'd go top of Ws over Hydro. I think the Hydro split is too easily manipulated by the Ruxton split - which never matches up well as far as I have seen ...
My goal is to have both an up and down split at A-Frame for the PPM.
ReplyDeleteAll of this said, the equipment is still on order. In theory we can do all sorts of stuff but the devil is in the details and we need to drag it up to the top of the peak for some field testing. I have no idea how this system will act once we pull it up to 14,000ft.
The good news is that I did find a pair of folks who are not running the PPA/PPM but are willing to hike the equipment down on Saturday morning, then out again so the batteries can recharge overnight. They then do it again on Sunday. The batteries only last 7-8 hours and a portable generator is out of the question at that site.
And yeah, W's and 1 to go could provide some good data for a nice study in contrasts. :-)
John - wow, awesome volunteers.
ReplyDelete