13 miles on the day, 5 early (before soccer, baseball for the crumb grabbers) and then 8 after dinner (and then it was science fair, and a variety of middle school projects – I swear my kids are doing 10x more homework and projects than I did as a kid and they are certainly taking it at least 100x more serious than I did when I was there age).
It was a good dinner … steak, asparagus, sweet potato, salad. I was sort of expecting one of those runs you get after a decent meal … where you sort of float around your stomach. And given nearly all my runs over the last couple of weeks have been … well, lethargic – I was really expecting this one to be so. Seriously for the last ten days – my runs have been like 8:20, 8:30 pace, often with the HR above 155. Sometimes 165 and I am asking myself what the heck I am doing. Sweating, breathing, and moving slow and not sure why. Work stress? Sick? Overtraining aka endocrine overload? Other stuff?
Then tonight, after a first mile of 9 minutes, I was a bit surprised to see 7:10s at 149. Bring on May. We’ll see. 78 miles on the week.
Article on Dr. Rock.
I am scheduled to do a 50 this weekend. It would be my longest run ever. I am not concerned about completion of the distance. I sort of feel, assuming that none of the grizzle went pop that I ought to be pull this off. But I was wondering tonight if it is the right thing for me to do right now. There is a little temptation to do the 25 instead, hang out and watch folks finish the 50, but then be recovered well to attack next week as well. And frankly, if the temptation is there, it might already be in the cards. Tonight’s run had me thinking that it was time to get working on stuff, and that a 50 might just compromise that too much. Then, alternatively, I think – this ain’t the Olympics GZ, get a grip. It will be a game day call. In any case, I ain’t expecting a huge taper right now either. My mother in law thinks the weather is going to be crap up there that day. That is not a guarantee of anything but if it is particularly nasty I ain’t going to look to win any tough guy awards.
Do you ever feel like you and the kids are stuck in the middle while schools frantically try out the latest and greatest? That's the way it seemed a few years ago when testing mania hit.
ReplyDeleteThat, and it seems like the burden is being shifted onto kids to make it in our increasingly weak economy (and I'm not referring to just the last few years, but the course of decades).
Holy crap, this is quite a pandora's box ... a whole series of posts have been started, and not put up on this ...
ReplyDelete