News stuff: -Next chapter in the Boulder Marathon. I definitely like Flatirons Running, Henry and their take. I consider it my go to store at current. Certainly does not hurt that my kid’s XC coach works there too.
- Strava does a Facebook like thing.
- More on fat adaptation (prelude to the UCONN study). Or “I treat carbohydrates like a stimulant”
- The marathon year in review. I sort of love that Meb’s Boston win was not even one of the top 100 times in the distance for the year, but he won a major marathon in front running fashion (and posted the best time by a Yank for the year).
-Nate Jenkins (remember that guy?) posts on tempo runs.
Late afternoon spanning into early evening (and back down from high altitude): 10.1 miles. It didn’t seem that cold when I headed out, but I had ice inside the jacket at the finish. Easy. Lower back has some minor tweak in it.
I had little intention of running ten when I went out but then I kept thinking about the stuff from the Battle of Bulge I have been reading. It is pretty hard to feel sorry for yourself for it being cold when you think about those guys.
But it is cold. And snowy. So I have not done anything quick for a bit and I need to get at that.
Been thinking about how I often wake up with something to grump about, worry about or generally get the #GOM on about. Been trying to “see that better” and realize that while I might feel that way, I am going to only be positive in my choices as to how I project. Linked to these positive choices is trying to make positive choices as to what I put in my pie hole. Yeah, there is a correlation … when shit goes in, usually shit probably comes out.
These Facebook year-in-review deals are epicly douchy.
ReplyDeleteRegarding fat adaptation, I have noticed wonderful benefits when I consume no carbs before long runs (maybe just some eggs and Greek yogurt and coffee). My energy is then way more stable. I don't at all advocate taking things as far as Zack B. does; I eat carbs at lunch and dinner. For me, going low/no carb before all runs is the way to go. If I eat carbs before a run (e.g., oatmeal), then my energy isn't stable and I'll crash within a few hours. Carbs before a run tells your body it needs carbs the whole way. Fat before a run tells your body fat is its fuel. That's been my experience, at least.
ReplyDeleteWhat, no link to my PED post that I put up yesterday? What does it take to get on your daily feed? :-)
That is fine. I am a fan of folks being more aware of what they are eating and how it impacts them. I could be a lot better at that.
DeleteI got your article queued up to read in my "to read list." I am a bit behind having bit out of town. Frankly, with the IAAF crap, Jeptoo, the Russians, and the Pikes story I am fatigued (again) with the PED stories. I have been "stuck" on the topic for almost 2 decades in the understanding that there are no easy solutions between wanting to assure no unfair advantage, seeing the TUE thing, while hearing adverts for "T" on the radio. I guess I am lucky in some regard that no significant payday was ever held from me because of the topic.
And you make the feed line everyday - it is over on the right and you are there.
You better not end the #GOM rants on this blog!
ReplyDeleteI could probably do a whole blog on it but like my running - it would be second rate. There are guys who are clearly taking performance enhancing #GOM stuff.
DeleteBy the way, congrats on the 365 project. That makes me tired thinking of just TRACKING it.
Glad to see the marathon will happen. I've been following the story a bit over the last few months.
ReplyDeleteI wanted to hit up Flatirons (and Shoes and Brews) back in August but my wife and I did so much we ran out of time.
Congrats on all the mileage this year.
Bob - if you make it out here again in 2015, let's see if we can arrange a jog.
DeleteThat's a very kind offer, thank you, and I may be able to take you up on it. We have a trip to Yellowstone planned in August (I'm driving and my wife is flying) and I planned on returning to PA via CO.
DeleteIf we run we have to drink.
That can be arranged. There are two weekends where I am tied up in August but depending on how things go, I could probably still be convinced to take a brew or two then.
DeleteAre you doing Pikes Peak?
DeleteWill probably be in CO August 18th, a Tuesday. This will possibly be tweaked by a day either side. It's probably not ideal for you that it's during the week but logistically that's how it will likely be. Not great for throwing back multiple beers but the jog would be very cool. We'll work something out. Since you ran over 3,400 miles in 2014 I've got work to do.
Very impressed your last 4 years.
The plan is to do PPM and then Leadville. Maybe a Foo Fighters concert too.
Delete