Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Wednesday 12031

News stuff – Hal’s book, Full Tilt Boogie is up for purchase. 
- on the heels about me blubbering about the crew heading up Green the other day, here is a post on the SF community pounding up Tam.
- Clark’s Chubby Cheeks is coming up.
- Deena says that the key to being an effective master is to maintain quality workouts, ditch junk miles and sleep.  I completely agree.  I can tend to get lazy with getting after quality workouts, chase miles for the sake of miles (I do fairly well with sleep).  But all that said I think the number one thing I could do to improve my fitness and performance is … lose 10 pounds. 
- want to figure your chances of getting into Hardrock?
- World Beer Mile Championships in case somehow you missed that.
- I need to get this entire thing of how I am going to carry stuff figured out.  I watched this today and noticed how many different ways there seems to do this.  The vests seem popular but check out that hip thing that Krar has.  And it seems that once the pacer in the mix the racers don’t carry anything.

Mid afternoon – 7.2 with Steve M easy.  He didn’t want to go faster than 8 pace and so we didn’t.  I added on another 3 when he was done and tossed in a few of sub sevens to just keep at that.  10.3 on the day.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting tips from Deena. I've heard similar stuff from other masters--quality is king, they say. This I will say: No matter what I did, getting 10 hours of sleep each night ain't gonna happen anytime soon except maybe weekends and even then it's a long-shot with a list of obligations and the need to get out there and put in the miles. I do think at this stage in my life as a runner that 80 miles/week with some quality gets me almost to where 100+ used to get me (but not quite).

    GZ, if you want to lose 10+ lbs. and haven't already dabbled with lower-carb eating, give it a try. I still eat a fair amount of carbs but, overall, I've cut back and have noticed a few subtle differences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see me changing the type of foods too much but the quantity ... and some of the extra stuff ... yes, for sure.

      Yeah, 10 hours ... I am not sure I could lay down that long anyway.

      Delete
  2. I think what to carry is a pretty personal choice. Really depends what you find comfortable. I really hate carrying a bottle, so prefer a pack no matter how much I need to carry. Packs are light enough (< 8-10 oz) that you are not really adding extra weight in terms of gear. You will just need to experiment. And yeah, once you have a pacer there is no reason to carry much. Though I think a small bottle can be nice to have if it is warm so you are not constantly asking for water. Of course, I have a 50% finish rate at Leadville so you might not want my advice ;-)

    You can drop 10 lbs eating plenty of carbs…it is simple math.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? No. I have heard it is all about WHAT kind of calories you eat, not the actual in versus out. ;)

      Of course Nick I'd be worried if it was you losing 10 lbs.

      I was hoping my pacer carried one of those vests with the water bottles with the long straws and I could just get a draw off that when then ran.

      Delete
    2. Everyone is different, n=1, etc., but: http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2013/10/17/sam-felthams-second-overeating-experiment/

      Delete
    3. And the debate goes on ...

      Delete
  3. 10 hrs a night?!?! I think I've averaged 6 a night since my first kid was born 4 years ago. Maybe I should quit my job and sleep instead.

    I wouldn't put much on trying to lose that much weight. Being 40/6'3"/185, I've found that putting on weight and muscle has made me a much better runner in these longer distances. Never mind I suck at these distances but at least I feel stronger and healthier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am a 7 or 8 guy. Sometimes that is 6. Sometimes that is 9. Certainly not 10.

      If I stayed the same weight because of muscle mass gain, and other crap loss - I'd be cool with that.

      I am pretty certain doing a 100 is not about health anyway.

      Delete