Thursday, April 12, 2012

Four: This ain’t the Olympics

Part of the reason why I think I need to change up my training is because I don’t think I can do the training I think I have to do.

Huh?  In other words, there is clearly a part of me that thinks I need to push the envelope with training 15 hours a week, a 100 miles a week, tons of vertical, time at altitude.  Clearly that sort of strategy, if it does not destroy you (or it does any you come out of it stronger), will provide a strong foundation for success in mountain marathon type races.

But, I am not sure I can pull that off.  I think I might be able to manage it physically, and in fact I have to some extent in the past.  But, given the other choices I have made in my life and the knowing the bigger picture things that are important to me, I don’t think I am going to be able to swing that sort of training to a point where I am satisfied … with that training.

This is really not a problem.  I mean it would be a problem if I was trying to be on the Olympic squad, or I was looking to make the USMRT as the most important thing.  But they ain’t.  I have a good job.  It requires me to travel a bit, and this summer it is looking to be fairly frequently (and often to sea level or near sea level elevations).  I have an amazing family that is involved in a lot of stuff (Scouts, soccer, baseball, piano, musicals, dog shows, various other social affairs) that I want to be a part of.  I am father.  I am husband.  I am a coworker.  I am glad I am those things.  Running is my hobby.  It is not my career.  It is not what I will be truly remembered as, as much as I might think it could be.

But it is sort of a little problem.  Because I do have that desire to do those things to get to that level.  So it is a gnat problem.  Buzzing in the back of my head at times. 

While it is clear to me what my priorities are and what is important, there are times where the waters are bit more muddy.  For example, I can sneak in more miles in the wee hours when my family is asleep, but then it impacts my performance at work, or my ability to be a present member of the family at some other point in the day. 

So I can either grasp at that, be frustrated with it, or change my approach. 

The second is more fruitful.

8 comments:

  1. It's only April, and you're already coming up with excuses as to why you won't match my Ascent time at Pikes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you feel any sense of pressure or stress from aging as well? Like do you feel at times that you need to work harder and train harder NOW while you are still relatively young and still can?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Running is my hobby. It is not my career." - that is exactly how I feel (and how I want it to be). Granted I have far fewer responsibilities than you, but there is still some need to balance work, running, and a real life (i.e. having a life outside running). And yeah, it isn't the olympics and in the end no one (except ourselves) really cares how we end up doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great read. We all have to be reminded of that at times, especially us middle of the pack guys (me, not you). Life should always win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I identify with this post a lot, and I think Andy's comment about aging furthers that discussion for me.

    Aging has prompted some of my disinterest. I feel like I need to spend more time on work, family, those things that are going to set me up for the rest of my life, and less time on lowering PRs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With aging comes pitfalls - mostly unavoidable, add in family (and life) and as you know the best plans often go out the window - but with aging comes a little more wisdom, or at least common sense. Which then leads to being usually able to prioritize more.

    So, being left with the options: what can I do, what should I do, who for, when, why? I think the ability to keep things simple becomes harder as we age - but more important.

    Easier said / written than done - but more rewarding / meaningful if done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This series of posts has definitely resonated with me.

    For me, I think it's a question of figuring out / accepting my identity as a runner. My identity as a runner was formed years ago, when things were less complicated. It was either PR or bust.

    Now that things are more complicated (a good thing and something I chose), and I might not be able to train the same way for PRs, I can't seem to find that middle ground between PR or bust. Well, maybe I can find it but I can't seem to accept it.

    And I can still get PRs but to do it these days, with all the other obligations, requires perfect discipline and doing the right things more often than ever. That's been hard...maybe I'm not confident I can hit a PR, so I elect to go bust.

    I think I may need to re-define my identity as a runner. Re-define it in the context of all these other things. Or maybe just accept it. Then figure out where that leads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brownie - that has certainly been a theme here as well over the years. I need to get my excuses out early. Technically these are excuses for next year though. I want to really start sandbagging.

    Andy - to some extent yes, but I think about it less about in terms of age and more about it in terms of enjoying what I have now. We all have gifts to run great distances at relatively fast speeds. That could end over the next ten years with age. Or it could end tomorrow by getting whacked by a car. I just want to enjoy it while I have it.

    NMP - my family has NO idea how I perform at Pikes. Seriously, if I asked them right now what my PR is there, or even a ball park about how long it would take me to run it ... they would have to think about it like some sort of math problem. They don't care if I run 3:50 or 9:50. They care about if I am happy with it. They love me regardless of the result.

    James - I am a middle of the packer. Seriously.

    Justin - okay man, but next time we line up with a burro ... (are you doing that this year?)

    Knuckledragger - agreed and well said.

    Will - that is the tricky place ... where you can still get PRs ... but at what cost?

    ReplyDelete