Sunday, April 8, 2012

Weekend running and a decision

Saturday AM – 18 miles.  I actually cut this jog short as the lawn mower foot began to bark more than I wanted to hear.  It is clear I can run on the foot.  I is also clear I am dealing with something more than just an ache and a pain down there.  Achilles tendonitis, or heel spur, or Haglund deformity or something or other.  All I can say kids, never put your foot in a lawn mower.

I asked myself why I was pushing on this Achilles like this.  And the answer was because I had programmed myself into thinking it was necessary to do this training for a race like Pikes later this summer.  And I had expectations on that race, and how I should perform there.

So then I asked myself if that was really true.  Not only was it true that this training was necessary or effective (although that is part of it), but if those performance goals were … well, real.  I feel a strong draw to that race (because I love it) but also see on that I have become stuck with it in a way that drive thoughts on how I need to approach it.  Those approaches have worked to some end before, but I might have exhausted those, and they don’t fit now (for a variety of reasons).  And so I have chosen a path that has made me ineffective in terms of training and expectations on several fronts.

So I will change that.  And for some reason, this time I believe that I really will.

1 comment:

  1. Curious to see how this plays out and what it means for you. As usual, some very thoughtful self-analysis.

    ReplyDelete