Friday, April 6, 2012

Friday 040612

Traveled home.  That is a ridiculously long trip.  I am a bit of a mess.  Intuitively it does not make a lot of sense:  how can I be so tired after doing nearly nothing for a complete day?  I mean, I essentially sat in a chair, walked some distance, sat some more, walked again, etc.  But post the trip, I was messed up – and not just from the jet lag.

Google and Facebook now regularly populate my side bar ads with Hebrew items. 

Passover was starting in Israel as we left.  It is a major Jewish holiday, and part of its traditions means, according to Andy:  (no) food products containing wheat, barley, rye, spelt, or oats if they have leavening. Corn, rice, millet and legumes are also on the no-no list.

Not sure if I have ever told my 2 sheckel story.  The sheckels is the primary currency of Israel, and it is about 3 sheckels   When I came back last time I had some left over change that I did not exchange, including a few 2 sheckel coins.  A 2 sheckel coin is almost exactly the same size as a nickel.
P4060070

Anyway, we head out for some camping and on the way make a road pit stop.  Kids head off to the bathroom and I head to get a cup of cheap gas station coffee.  I get rung up and it is a dollar five.  I pull the dollar from my wallet and have some change in my pocket, so I feel out the nickel and pass over the exact change – getting the quick minor satisfaction one gets for not getting back 95 cents in change by breaking two bills.  Of course, I have inadvertently passed the 2 sheckel piece and not the nickel.

The cashier looks at it for a moment and says, “I said a dollar five, not a dollar two.”  She pushes the money back at me, and I see I have accidently passed the 2 sheckel piece.  At this point, I am not sure whether to start cracking up as I have actually overpaid, or to go into an explanation that there is NO SUCH THING AS A 2 CENT PIECE IN THE US.   

I got 95 cents back in change.

10 miles in the evening.  So good to be home.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah man... Ran with Brooks this morning and when I got to his house before the run I suggested that we go with Plan B... which was to buy a couple of cases of beer and watch stupid movies all day... of course HE wanted to run... well, we were about in four miles into the run and I realized "@#$@&^#$ I can't have beer!" FOR A WEEK!!!!! So wee did 22.5 miles instead... Welcome home... and btw, I always struggled flying this way across the Atlantic when I was younger too... I image it would not be any easier now... :)

    ReplyDelete