Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Readings

A bit of internet crud I have come across as of late that I have found interesting…

The guy who came in third at the Barkley, whose name nobody remembers also blogs.

My kid is in Scouts because he likes it.  All of this research as to how Scouts, and in particular Eagle Scouts, are different than non-Scouts is a pretty good reason too though.

Alcohol, the nonnutritive nutrient.

We still don’t know how to train for a 100.

I agree with Burfoot that the Olympic Marathon should not restrict each country to selecting only three athletes.

8 comments:

  1. It probably hurts the cause but I am proud to be an Eagle Scout. I expect my son to become one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evan - was thinking you'd find that interesting. You might also enjoy this one. http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/04/11/this-eagle-scout-infographic-pretty-much-says-it-all/

    Not sure if my son will become an Eagle or not. He appears to be more interested in getting a 100 nights of camping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a Cub Scout, my godson is currently one. The politics are unnecessary for kids at a young age (compared to the numerous good parts of Scouts) -- but I really wish they would be nicer to gay people. Sorry, not to be a drag: just that I feel pretty strongly about it, and would like to see that aspect change from within, since it doesn't seem to/shouldn't affect all the other messages and activities.

    100 nights of camping is an awesome goal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike - I have been very much on the lookout in this troop for that specific discrimination, and I can say that I see none of it. I am not saying that it doesn't exist. I am just saying that I have yet to see it as an issue.

    I can see it as an issue that this sort of organization would grapple with as they are often chartered by churches (who are in their own battle with that). That and the fact that young men are often figuring out all that stuff and not always in a kind manner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool, I wish just as much for all the boys and young men and parents that it weren't a policy issue at all, so that they can enjoy all the benefits of the organization without other people judging them and assuming they must feel 100% the same way as the top of the organization. (Especially as younger kids, when you don't even think about it).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made it to the rank of Life, if you can believe it. Threw away Eagle due to cross-country/track.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mike ... is there some sort of explicit or written policy you are referencing?

    brownie ... not surprised at at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll email you some info if you're curious, I don't want to be all negative on a positive side topic on your board, but I still keep hoping this changes in our lifetime.

    ReplyDelete