I have been asked why I don’t get a bike and why I don’t embrace cycling a bit more. I will admit that I have a bit of apprehension at the entry cost. I was recently advised that I could get in a decent low end bike for about 1000 bucks. That just seems steep to me. Yeah, I recognize that I spend money on other stuff, but I am not ready to swallow that bigger pill. Yet.
But probably just as much is that I SUCK on a bike. I don’t mean in terms of performance. That is obvious. I don’t bike much so I should not expect to clip in and ride at 25 mph. I mean that I suck in terms of coordination. I am ridiculously uncoordinated.
I had a paper route as a kid. Afternoon paper delivery and so I had the big baskets on the back of the bike filled with papers. It was probably 50 houses, over 5 or 6 miles, and about 3 miles from my house. I was 12, and it was a little bit of an ass kicker at the time. Anyway, one day I am heading out to the last house on the route and this young attractive also 12 year old lady goes biking the other way. I recognized her from school (it was Junior High then kids), and so she gave me a polite “hi.” Of course, in the mind of a 12 year old, or my 12 year old mind this was an invite for additional conversation. I biked as hard as I could to the last house, delivered that last paper by hucking it to the front porch and then set off like a demon in an attempt to catch her. What I would say when I got there, no clue – but I am sure my yellow 3 speed with the Auntie Em baskets would have been a significant woo factor.
I spotted her about a quarter mile up on the long road and doubled my effort. As I did, I shifted to the all so powerful warp drive THIRD gear and pushed harder on the pedals. The chain slipped however and that is when I made a pretty crucial mistake. I looked down at the chain, and tried to back pedal to get it to recatch. I slipped into the side gutter of the road, loss control of the bike and smacked it dead on to a fire hydrant that magically appeared in front of me. I went flying over the handle bars, smacking my body into a telephone pole just past the hydrant. I must have slid down the pole like Wiley E Coyote to the ground.
The girl never saw any of this. As I looked up, through sweat, dirt, blood and tar from the pole, I could see her biking off into the distance. The home owner who lived adjacent to this scene came running out of her home, as she had heard the crash and claimed she thought there had been a car accident. The bike was a complete wreck and it took some effort to pull it off the hydrant as the wheel had collapsed in a funky way around it. I was bleeding in several places. She let me call my mother who came and picked me up.
When my father got home, he wanted to know what had happened. I was not going to explain to him that I was chasing some girl, and so I told him I hit a patch of sand and lost control of the bike. He turned the whole thing into some sort of investigation and went out to the scene of the “crime” where – of course – there was not a lick of sand anywhere to be found.
I ended up walking most of the paper route thereafter for a bit until I saved up for a new bike.
So biking might not be my thing. And there are several additional bike stories like this in my past.
So... no mountain biking Slickrock any time soon?
ReplyDeleteYou may remember my ejection (or rather non-ejection) on totally flat sand and dirt last summer :\ I can relate.
One other cost that I have a hard time with is the maintenance. If you ride a lot, you really need to know how to work on your bike. I'm terrible with that but getting better because I don't want to drop $60 just to change my chain and tune up my bike.
ReplyDeleteMy worst crash (that I remember anyway) happened just last year. I was going down a hill early am and ran into a deer. I must have been going 25 mph or so. Damn thing saw me coming and tried to run in front of me. Upon impact, I did a flip over the handlebars and landed on my back. That was the end of that helmet. The just deer ran off with its friend, jolly as ever.
Nice bike story, I can relate. In a similar attempt to impress a fair maiden - riding with no hands on the handlebars - I crashed into the back of a pick-up truck, that was parked, going right over the handlebars into the bed of the truck, one of my shoes also flew off, hitting fair maiden in the nose. While she was bleeding, I then ran away.
ReplyDeleteLie down on the couch and get it all out, all those traumatic bike stories from the past.
ReplyDeleteMy worst was a couple years ago (mt. bike).
But road biking especially is still great for the ridiculously uncoordinated, and we live in one of the best places in the country for it. Have you hopped on a road bike at all? Like many, I made the transition after going for a longer road ride on my mt. bike, and then switching off and borrowing a friend's road bike. Don't rule it out completely and try it out sometime!
Great story, but since the girl didn't see you crash, the accident didn't really happen, so all should be well. Buy a bike. You'll be fine.
ReplyDeleteGood adds all. And oh yeah ... helmet? No way. Helmets were pretty much a dork badge 30 years ago.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't think that you'd have to "go all in" to an entry level road bike (and everything that goes with that) to do a little cross training. An older model $200 mountain bike off craigslist would be fun on Marshall Mesa/Dirty Bismarck, where the fire hydrants wouldn't bother you.
ReplyDeleteI'll never forget our ride up Flagstaff. I stayed well clear, just in case ;)
ReplyDeleteAh, the old Lotus ... yeah, broke a pedal on that ride.
ReplyDeletePeter - thanks for the recommendation. I have an old mtnbike ... JV won't talk to me if I ride it in the same county as him.
Nice bike story.Remember when i thought i could skid my bike to a stop by jamming my foot into the front spokes,bike went flipping over me,breaking my collarbone,wish i could blame youthful ignorance,but i was 1 year into college!sigh.(never did finish college,wonder why?).Getting a fishing arrow through my ear ranks up there,but thats another story.
ReplyDeleteRandy, I think that trumps it. I expect you probably have a few bb gun stories as well.
ReplyDeleteWell ,accidently shooting my '75 Firebird with my 44 mag.Ruger might be considered a bb gun story,/sigh,or getting shot at by a security guard for throwing lawn furniture into a hotel pool,/sigh.Gotta love all the mistakes we make as we get grow up,long as we survive them.
DeleteI bit on the whole grand bike thing last year when I couldn't run. But it was months on end and I had to get outdoors and off the stationary bike. I can't tell you how many times I fell trying to get out of the clipless pedals and I broke a derailleur at mile 8 of the Elephant Rock ride....but actually, I ended up really liking cycling. It's just hard to fit it in on a regular basis now that I can run again. Hopefully the Achilles will cooperate and you'll have no need to think of a bike! :)
ReplyDeleteBiking also seems to require a lot more time to get the same level of stimulus. Or at least it feels that way. How are you Jill?
ReplyDelete