Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Wednesday night various

All this stuff comes from over at Ultra Runner Podcast:  WS entrants, Kenyan Olympic Marathon team announced, Light weights and heavy weights, and you choose to lose.  I didn’t know it but apparently I am also known as G-Zizzle. 

Justin shared this pic from the Godzone race.   Apparently there are some that have uglier toes than me.

562076_10150777709606100_632281099_9502337_2012906262_n

Maffetone gets a lot of play on Lucho’s podcast (as he has gone dark on the blog), but apparently he is also a musician and he is coming to Colorado.

NACAC team announced.

I felt super motivated to run yesterday and today – and so I did, but decided to only do a few miles with Tim and a few this AM.  The Achilles feels goofy but, heck everything feels a bit out of whack after ten days off.  I figure there is no need for me to kill myself with a 20 miler out of the gate.  Instead, I will do a slow wading into the training waters to evaluate where I am at.  Anyway, I am not sure if the Achilles is right, if I am over analyzing it, if I am screwing it up more, if I just need to suck it up … I will evaluate day to day.  

I often advise folks in my job about checklists.  Create checklists.  Formalize them.  Make them part of your business.  For where they make sense.  I was wondering I’d benefit from a checklist for my runs.    It could be something like this:  What is the purpose of this run?  And if the answer was run long (versus say run fast or run hills), then there would be subsequent checklist questions like:  Are you hydrated?  Do you have food?  Will this be a hill run or a flat run or a combination?  What would success for this workout be?  How will you recover after this run?  What criteria will you use to pull the plug on this workout?  Is this workout appropriate today?  In other words, layout a checklist that has me stop for a moment and consider how this run or workout is contributing to overall fitness, enjoyment, etc.  If it does not add up, or make sense – it could be a run worth scraping and doing something else.

Back to blessed CO tomorrow.  Thinking I might do a little jogging for a third day in a row to continue to evaluate.  I am thinking I might jog some grass fields barefoot to see if that has any sort of bearing on the Achilles.  Normally I would think that is insane, but I am walking around in the AM indoors without any Achilles issues.  Curious to see if there is a similar thing outdoors.  Also will look to gym some too.

1 comment:

  1. I think you found your new header pic.

    My run checklist goes something like:
    * Shorts
    * Zipped
    * GPS
    * Camera
    * Bear spray (>2 hrs. in the mountains or any time in Boulder)
    * Start run
    * Stop and take photos (x30)
    * End run
    * Stretch
    * Drive away
    * Stop GPS watch 1/2 mile down road

    ReplyDelete