Sunday, August 14, 2011

How fast PPA polls

I put up two polls today (I missed putting up one yesterday). These polls are about how fast you think the PPA for men and women will be. Of course, the hidden question in these polls is if you think a new CR will go up. Matt holds a 2:01:06 from a marathon way back in 93 (resulting in a 3:16:39 RT record) and Bjorklund holds a 2:33:37 from 81 - also a marathon effort resulting in a 4:15:18.

Macias, based on poll voting as to win, seems most poised to take a crack at what is a ridiculous course record, and the word on the street is Dobson is possibly positioned for the women's record.

It has to be stated that it cannot be understated how amazing those Ascent times are given they came in the marathon.

For what it is worth, I have thought about both those times alot. I thought for a while I'd be able to break Bjorklund's record - and rather easily. It has not happened. And I have considered while descending that I better descend faster than Matt's best ascent to keep some semblance of pride.

Vote away!

11 comments:

  1. It's fun to look back at this list:

    http://mountainrun.wordpress.com/2010/08/23/pikes-peak-2010-the-ever-growing-sub-230-ascent-list/

    Only 8 guys have ever run sub 2:10! Granted, the competition seems to be pretty deep this year, but I still don't see Macias coming close to the CR. I think Randall's performance as a rookie last year will be tough to beat.

    And If someone said I could have a sub 2:01 descent, I would take it in a heartbeat! I counted about 40 sub 2:01 descents from last year (men and women). So that's what - top 5%?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, they actually consider Matt's Ascent time during his marathon the Ascent record? Seems odd because A)he wasn't running that race and B)hardly indicative of what he could have run had only been doing that distance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - it is the fastest Ascent in either race, so, yes. For what it is worth, the race used to be on the same day, and in fact folks could decide at the top (through the 70s). Also - the marathon used to be THE event ... the fast ascent times always came from that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as I can tell, on the men's side the fastest non marathon ascent was Elliott's 2:06:47 in 89. There have been at least 4 faster ascents - but those came in the Marathon, 2 belonging to Carpenter (including the course record), one going to Meija (which resulted in at the time a course record) and one to Rodriguez.

    Seven out of the 10 fastest ascents came in the Marathon. Outside of Carpenter's 2:08 in 2006, these all were posted prior to 1996.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why the historical pattern ya think? Less competitive? Fewer specialists? More to do these days? Glen Randall seems like a good example. Really talented, yet really involved in other things (skiing).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Probably a variety of factors. I do think that PPM in the 90s was one of the more extreme games in town at that the time. 1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another idea: The mentality of the two events.

    The PPA seems to follow Matt's tagline of "go out fast and when it hurts, speed up." So folks take off like it was a 5k, gun it through the W's and then hang on for dear life above A-Frame. There are a lot more folks in the PPA, so the odds of somebody trying to escape the lead pack and make a breakaway is higher.

    The PPM seems to have more of a "go out slow, the race starts at A-Frame" mentality. so folks don't take off like it was a local 5k, save something through the W's and than have some in reserve for when they hit treeline.

    ReplyDelete
  8. John - good points. Some mutterings (with not a strong direction as much as random thoughts).

    I have wondered if there was a bit of a message with the Ascent last year (maybe a message of what it was in the 90s?).

    Over the years, the ROAD marathon, at least at the front of the competitive end, has increasingly become a time trial event. Guys have to hit the kilos with specific splits, nailing a sub 15 to start. It certainly was not that way - it used to be the war of attrition, with the race going to those who could last over the speedsters. The marathon, with sub 2:07, sub 2:06, heck sub 2:05 times has become a calculated timed event. Get out too slow and you lose that advantage or the chance at a fast time (and a bonus check).

    The PIKES Ascent was that too. You needed to be careful in the early going. But last year ... Randall seemed to send a message last year that said - screw that. Rickey and the gang let him go. And he ran sub 2:10. You got to wonder if there was a bit of a wake up call that this was more of a "sprint" than an endurance event.

    I have wondered if Matt and the guys in the 90s were more likely to take that race like an all out affair from the go. I have had this debate with marathon folks. I have asked some how they approach the ascent in the marathon and have got the mix of answers - hold back for the ascent and have something in reserve for the down versus "go balls out" and survive the down.

    2:01. He had to be flying from the start. And apparently he was running the down scared (afraid Meija was gonna catch him).

    ReplyDelete
  9. The majority of my Ascent wins were time trials. Many years I took off at the start because I did not want to dawdle. I knew every inch of that course and knew exactly what effort I could put out on each section.

    I did not have a clue who Glen was last year: I was riding my bike alongside the lead pack (Glen had already put on a significant gap) -- I told the guys, "Don't worry about that dummy; he'll come back to y'all." Whoops. This is all on film; I will get it to G.Z. for him to post ASAP. You'll have to pardon the ever-increasingly-labored breathing on my part... it was all I could do to stay with the pack until Hydro Street.

    For a Pikes Ascent virgin, Glen's performance last year was awesome. At the age of 23, he broke my 23-year-old age group record, which was my first victory (also at the age of 23) after three previous Ascents.

    My 2:06 in 1989 was the result of duking it out with Mark Stickley (Google him) and Carpenter. I developed a horrible side-stitch on the flats below Barr Camp and had to drop off 5 or 6 times to stop and massage/stretch the damn thing. But each time I bridged back up and we went through Barr together in maybe 1:02. Matt bolted after that, Mark decided to chase, and I could not match the pace. 2 minutes after the left turn (to STAY ON THE TRAIL) at the Bottomless Pit sign, I encountered Stickley, walking. He was blown. No sign of Matt. I kept pushing, and finally caught a glimpse of Matt's neon-pink shorts a few switchbacks above treeline. He had at least 2 minutes on me. I kept pushing, and stealing glances ahead/above every so often... I was gaining! Finally caught Matt at just below 1 mile to go. Sat on him for a few seconds to ascertain his exertion level. Decided I felt frisky and did not want to give Matt any chance to slow the pace and dictate the race. Told Matt, "OK, my turn." and passed him. Put on as strong a push as I could for the next few small switchbacks to gap him and discourage him. Gradually pulled away and FLEW up the last half mile. Major adrenaline rush. I did not ever back off. Put almost two minutes on Matt after I passed him. Most memorable race of my career.

    I plan on biking alongside again this year with my video camera. Should be a good show.

    Did I mention it SUCKS being out of shape?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - Great recap, Scott! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Indeed - a great story Matt. I have contemplated a podcast with you two, recounting this one as part of it.

    63ish from Barr to the Summit. Damn. For what it is worth, I think few do that from Aframe to the summit.

    ReplyDelete