Saturday, August 20, 2011

Saturday 082011

So no running today. 

I will admit I am both calm about tomorrow and nervous about tomorrow.  I am calm because I can see what it really is and what it really means.  Translation – it does not matter, it is a gift that I get to do this and I am still expected to go to work on Monday.

I am nervous because on the edges I have some self imposed expectations in terms of performance.  It makes the most sense for me to let those go, and let the race come to me versus chase down those expectations.  In many regards, this race has become a test for me in self control.  Control in the race of course - (don’t go out too fast, dig when it really hurts), but also self control over myself day in and day out.

Whatever.  I definitely got to see first hand today some strong runners get worked pretty damn hard and so that is on my mind for sure.

Going with racing flats tomorrow – probably a bit light and thin but it has worked for me over the years.  Today it was pretty warm up there.  If it expected to be about the same tomorrow, I am probably going to opt to carry a water bottle.  I have never done that but I am thinking that it could help me in the heat on the down.

Mentally I am ready to be SUPER relaxed through the start tomorrow.  This is a test in discipline.  I have been a guy that feels he needs to bank a bit more time on the bottom because I will lose time on the top.  I still might lose time on the top as I have not been doing much at altitude but I feel I will lose more if I am not careful low.  This will mean that I need to let guys (and gals) go low.

Video from the start

In the big contest, Pittbrownie ran about 18 minutes faster than Amanda.  I guess the good news is that he is off doing Leadville and Transrockies so we don’t need to hear him gloat for a while.

Runcolo has some good videos of the top finishers (glad that Justin edited in some music so my jack ass comments can’t be heard in most of them) and the CoS Gazette has some winner post race interviews.

10 comments:

  1. Hope you have a solid race tomorrow! More importantly, have fun and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nick!

    PS - not sure on that 100 in Boulder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GO GZ!!!!

    One of my favorite quotes of yours of all time..
    "Translation – it does not matter, it is a gift that I get to do this and I am still expected to go to work on Monday."

    True dat!!! all our expectations are self-imposed. i mean, i think its awesome you are doing PPM for the bajillionth time and that you are pretty fast. if first master goes xhrs xminutes and so on and so forth- its all gibberish to me!! i just like seeing you live your life and love what you're doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth - thanks. I absolutely feel the same way about the life style you and James lead. You two truly live it with all those crazy bike rides, and trips to the frozen yogurt places (Golden Spoon?). You truly inspire! Thanks for that and the kind words.

    PS - this is only my fifth time doing the marathon and sixth year doing Pikes at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ward - or rather he who sleeps in the clouds. I think you are going to have a helluva day out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just think when you are suffering coming down pikes tomorrow (and you know there will be plenty of suffering...) that you could get to do it for another 10+ hours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking that as I watch the twitter LT100 feed ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great run, pal. I'm looking forward to reading and hearing the post-run report. Have a blast, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You ran a smart race and must have passed a lot of people on the way down. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jesse. I think I am hearing that I got ten on the down. Course, that up kicked my butt!

    ReplyDelete