My September issue of Running Times arrived in the mail yesterday, and the article that Todd G referred to in an earlier comment was indeed in there: 2 page spread on Matt Carpenter. In the article, it is made pretty clear he is running this year. It is a well written piece by Metzler. “I use to win races and feel a lot of joy and satisfaction. Now if I win a race, I feel relieved. And relief is not a good motivator for me.” Matt mentions taking a few years from the race to free himself from both the public and personal expectations of how he is supposed to perform. It appears – and I am glad about this – that this year is not that year.
I have wondered what Pikes would be without the legacy of Carpenter. In a similar fashion, I wondered about the landscape of road and track running without Geb. There would be this monster of a guy named Tergat. Tergat is not forgotten, but he is a bit of a footnote in the shadow of Geb. At Pikes, there are some incredible performances … Elliott, Boettcher, Mackey, Burrell … not forgotten but they are clearly overshadowed by the depth, breadth of performances that Matt has put up there.
Yes, comment away on the man crush.
In regards to my own personal expectations at that hill in a couple of weeks, I am unsure as to what will play out. Last year at this time, I had this odd confidence: a knowing that I had put in the training and was fit, that I’d approach the race with a good balance of race ready aggression but caution in the early stages, and an almost uncaring as to how I performed. There was a sum of things at the edges that I could begin to see though that made it clear to me that the race would probably go well. And it did. I PR’d, came in 12th overall, and “won” the masters age group. I even got the nice sting of coming up short of one of my goals – breaking 4:30 (a little something still out there to keep you motivated).
This year, I don’t feel nearly as fit, am a bit road weary from a load of significant business travel, and have spent more days at true sea level than higher elevations. I wake up and my legs feel … well, not tired or sore but a bit off. I am excited to do the race of course. There is a part of me that thinks that with a bit of time back home and a bit of a taper that I will be as ready as I was last year. Be careful in the early stages, run more than you want to above Barr Camp, really run more than you want above A-frame, and then ask yourself how bad do you want it on the way down. I also realize that those thoughts with the lead up I have had might be a bit self delusional.
So the fun of this one this year will be to discover that. Where am I and how much can I eek out of this frame come two Sundays from now? Really, no different than probably what Matt, Bernie, Brad, Ward, JV, the lot us are all really facing.
AM – 12 miles. Sort of a fartlek. JZ was on his bike so it was often a game of catching up to him, racing up to some spot with him, just cruising relaxed or checking out the trains going by.
Week was 75 miles over about eleven hours. Some fair vertical (almost 10k), even with the Tel Aviv trip. Taper time. Will look for the next couple of weeks to be easy with a few harder jaunts up Green or similar. I’d like to think I can sneak to the Decalibron, or maybe Audobon but that is up in the air still. 2325 on the year.
Evening … working on setting up the wireless with the DVD, and I contacted support. I wonder where Austin is from …
Now that I've known you for a while, I'm onto the pattern of your pre-race. You've got more miles in with more speed in those miles than 95% of the guys reading your blog. Get it done and have a fun time doing it.
ReplyDeleteVery excited that Matt is running this year. When I saw him Thursday I had a hunch he was.
ReplyDeleteLook forward to seeing you in 2 weeks! Enjoy your taper!
If you may be up for Decalibron next weekend let me know - I have never done that loop, so if you wanted some company we could try to figure something out since i will be up that way
ReplyDeleteI agree with Tim...before every race you seem to talk about how you aren't sure how it is going to go (some may call this sandbagging;) ) and then you always end up killing it. Hopefully this time is no different!
Brad - I think it is hard for folks to appreciate how special his performances are up there. Of course, if Aish shows up and runs a 1:49 ascent then I am going to have to restate all that. ;)
ReplyDeleteTim, Nick - I have hardly killed it every year. Coincidentally, odd years have been a bit more of a challenge for me. I certainly will treat the run as a celebration and so there will be fun. And I will probably have a homebrew or two on hand afterwards.
Nick - you UTMB ready? Tim - Pb?
Important part is to enjoy it, right? You wear your HR monitor on that race?
ReplyDeleteI'm ready for LT100.
I have worn the HR monitor the last couple of years but was planning on not this year ... leaves a funny tan line.
ReplyDeleteJust getting ready to start the taper...got in back to back long runs this weekend with ~7k of vertical so hopefully I will show up in some kind of shape Although I'm sure all the fast guys will leave me in the dust!
ReplyDeleteOK, maybe you havn't 'killed it' but in general you underestimate your performance potential. I think you noted this yourself a while back.
How many toes are in 30 feets?
ReplyDeleteAlien.
ReplyDeleteDebating HRM/GPS/Laptop watch. Might even just go with no watch at all.
Craig - for me 270.
ReplyDeleteJeff - alien! Awesome. That got me cracking up.
Actually after posting that I would not go with the HR monitor, I started thinking I might - just for a little feedback in the Ws. I will certainly wear a watch just for the historical gathering of split info.
SANDBAGGER.
ReplyDeleteMatt wasn't too happy that the article was published.
I was on the summit the past two days - amazing how many folks have been making it up there. Simon G is in town; he'll soon be a COS resident. Peter is nursing his stress fracture with a pair of those ridiculous-looking Hookah things. Matt is handing out free donut coupons to anyone who looks like they could finish within an hour of him. Dobson looks sub-2:40 fit. And drinking beer is a lot cheaper at 14k than at 6k - provided it's the beer you bring.
FWIW - race bib #'s are assigned.
ReplyDeleteCraig - thanks for the tip.
ReplyDeleteSean - if Matt did the interview, then why is he surprised it was published? Did he say not to publish it and RT did anyway?
I am curious as to your race strategy by the way.
Matt has many good reasons to hit the mountain again this summer. Every year holds an age record within reach:
ReplyDeleteAge 47 Ascent: 2:27:58 (10 minutes slower than Matt did last year even while he was nursing an injury)
I will go on record of saying Matt will have quite a challenge on his hands though when he's 80 (Keith Wood's 4:51 and at age 81 4:44). :)
The age 47 marathon record is 4:09 (18 minutes slower than Matt did last year even while he was nursing an injury).
I ain't counting Parker out of the fight.
ReplyDeleteI'm not entirely sure Matt was under the impression that his talk was an interview. I'll leave it at that.
ReplyDeleteAs for my plans...I guess it depends on whether I race Saturday, Sunday, or both. More to come!