Justin's good write up of his experience at the World Championships of Burro Racing. I got to hand it to Justin: he had a tough couple of weeks going into this but he got out there and did this challenging event anyway. I had talked about burro racing up until last year, but it was his kick in my ass that actually got me to do it. I hope to return to Fairplay for this most awesome event next year.
AM – slept in a bit … needed it. I debated getting out once I was up, but I took advantage of a half hour later start at the office and put in five miles, with the 1 on, 1 off in there. I am not sure how much of a difference it makes but two weeks ago when I went hard on Green's middle route, my HR never went above 167. As part of a training game, I have been seeing what I can get it to in these harder sessions. It has been ticking a bit higher in each of them and this morning I saw 185 (the last two sessions high scores were 180 and 183). These sessions are, admittedly, challenging for me. Years ago, I would have preferred this sort of work, and in fact, in a pinch would pull 15 by 40-20. This is 40 seconds on at mile pace, 20 seconds off. I thought about this AM and the thought of it baffles me. I am not able to manage that sort of workout at this time. These 1 on, 1 off leave me worked pretty damn good. Truly this is an area in which I can mine some improvement.
PM - got back to the hotel mill. 6 miles with the first five at 10% grade, just steady grinding - nothing crazy. Got off the mill and walked directly into the ocean to cool off (but the water is so warm, it is not really cooling anyway).
A few pictures that my friend and coworker Tom took last night.
Great pics. I know you said everyone has suggestions on what to do/where to go...but, between there and Mission Bay/Mission Beach earlier in the year, you've had some great surfitunities, do you get in the ocean at all? Stand-Up Paddling is easy (saw that in one of your earlier pics) and that, and surfing, is way more fun than running!
ReplyDeleteI do get in the ocean but I have never even have tried surfing or paddling. They were giving surfing lessons to some class down on the beach.
ReplyDeleteFWIW - part of why I think I started running as a kid is because I generally sucked at other sports: I am not very coordinated. I remember recently getting off the top rock on Green. Tony and Jeff were laughing at me and asked "what the hell are you doing?" I made just getting off the rock look that hard.
I bet surfing would have a fair chance of killing me.
Impressive you are hanging in there with the runs during these circadian rhythm disruption trips.
ReplyDeleteI've not surfed, but I have tried windsurfing and although I think you'd find it a rush, I have to admit it was hard to get the balance going. But it's pretty cool to be traveling just using the wind. Hopefully it's even in the right direction.
GZ, give paddle boarding a try. You're on your feet (which is nice), and really just establishing your balance over the water's imbalance, so it's a great workout (core, less used muscles, etc.). And on top of all of that, once you're comfortable, it's a great way to see the water and surroundings.
ReplyDeleteWin win and very little chance of death.
I won't get the boarding in before I leave here. Maybe some other time. I actually have wind sailed on some lakes back on the east coast - but that was maybe 20 years ago.
ReplyDeleteI am sure it is fun. I am sure I need to do new things to make sure I don't deal with brain rot.
But not today. ;)