Vancouver. Got out on the River Road, and then picked up this trail. 12 miles.
Apparently the Berry Picker 10k in Vail was won OUTRIGHT by 10 year old Tyler Scholl. With this win, Tyler adds a victory over Bernie Boettcher (who is 38 years his senior) to his resume – which already includes a 15:45 5k.
Hey GZ. I was at the Berry Picker, it was 3.2 miles all uphill with 2100 vertical gain. It was pretty amazing to see him dominate the field.
ReplyDeleteI was also watching my girls in the D'Evelyn Cross-Counry scrimmage the day before in Denver. Both Scholl kids were racing that one too. Tyler dominated the citizen's race and Tabor dominated the High School girls race.
Have fun in my old stomping grounds! Wish I had some good runs for you but I really started running once I left my hometown of Bellingham, Wa. There are some epic trails near Vancouver though... man, that is a rad city.
ReplyDeleteMy #12 has just officially retired after seeing Tyler Scholl results.
ReplyDeleteI ran a 5:09 mile as an 8th grader, which was good enough to make me 6th man on a Junior Nationals XC team from Colorado once upon a time. We had some real studs on our team back then (one guy ran a 4:44 mile at the same age, if I recall), but I'm pretty sure none of them is still running, and I spent 10 years away from the sport myself. Not only that, but a couple of them got really hardcore into drugs after they quit. Young Mr. Scholl is crazy, crazy impressive, but that kind of intensity at that age is a dicey thing to balance. I wish him well, but that kind of attention at that age, the self-definition by success, and the pressure that will only build, it's a very tough thing for most to handle.
ReplyDeleteWithout a doubt, the criticism / question that will be thrown at folks like Tyler (and perhaps his parents) is if his growth (not just physical) is sustainable in the sport.
ReplyDeleteI get the question, but I wonder why people ask this so aggressively about running, and are less inclined to do that with kids who are in hard core soccer or baseball or football programs.
In any case, he is doing better than 1/3 of kids in America who are already considered overweight.
Jason - Vancouver does seem fun. I think I'd have to be a bit further out of the city though if I lived up here.