Monday, August 22, 2011

Monday 082211

No running today by design. The bottom of feet are most sore, and I have typical post race "ugh" everywhere else. It is a lot of ugh.

Almost immediately after the finish, there were questions floating around as to what was next for folks. Sneaking into the top five masters landed me a free entry for Pikes next year. I love the race of course, but getting something free helps grease the skids for that. But there was already talk of Leadville for some. We hoped for a year where the races would fall on separate weekends - perhaps setting up for a PPA, Leadville double.

I am nowhere near knowing what I will do next year but I guess if I had to state it - it would be Pikes. I love the race, I love its challenge, I love its simplicity. Seeing that I missed top master by less than five minutes has me wondering ... and frankly, I know that if I train right and execute right, I can still have my best day there. Last year I trained well and executed fairly well. This year I trained fairly well and executed as good as I could on race day. I still wonder what I can do if I can put it all together. I am not sure if I will ever put it all together but there is joy in the mystery of that.

That said ... right now, it is rest. Clearly my body needs it after a race like this but I might need something a bit more substantial. I love the run. I love my daily routine with it, but there have been a few more days this summer where it has been something a little less than love. A little downtime my be better for my head, and allow me to flush out a few of these niggles.

It is easy to think about Pikes now - the day after the race. It is sort of like opening day of baseball. The dreams for next year can start now. But a million things can happen between now and then that make it so I don't even get to the line. I certainly did not forecast all this travel last year at this time.

For what it is worth, Carpenter's book on the PPA/PPM actually calls for 3 months of down time post the race. I can't see me with my feet up for three months (he does quite call for that), but a shift in focus will be nice.

I realize we are hitting some of the most awesome time of the year. While there may not be training I can see getting out and just goofing off to enjoy the ladybugs up on Green (or something like that). With school firing up with the kids, soccer, baseball, music - all that stuff - it is a good time for some down time.

I am thinking that when do get back I may train for a 5k, mile kind of race. I realize I say this often but if I transitioned from goofing off to training the training would be focused on that sort of stuff. That means a shift in discipline (more speed, less miles) than what I have done.

Of course then, I recognize that might still mean some silly ass crap on the weekends.

So I don't know ... more to come. A few brews to mull that over for a bit.

More insights on Pikes forthcoming ...

At the start


At the summit


No comments:

Post a Comment