Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday 071510

AM  - 7 miles easy. 

Apparently Tony is out of BTMR.  Ought to move Nick up into the top ten.  Putting my picks as: 
1.) Carpenter
2.) Gates
3.) Nichols
4.) Parker
5.) Haefer
6.) Cox
7.) Clark
8.) Selig
9.) Romero
10.) Boettcher
Next tier: Maksimow, Ricks
I think the top five are pretty solid, and unless something goes really awry, will be tough to crack. Next five to ten could be quite a shuffle.  I might have Maksimow too low, but that is to get the east coaster types worked up.  Top 8 break 1:40. Carpenter to Barr Camp again in 56, and hence has a two minute headstart on everyone on the descent.  Might be a touch cooler than in other years, as the weather is only supposed to be 77 at 9AM based on the extended forecast. High that day of 92.

Took a peek at my results at this race from prior years.  Whatever the reason (not as effective training, age, being soft, less focus, etc), my expectations for Sunday’s race don’t align particularly with those results.  Breaking 1:50 would be off the charts for me right now, and so I think a sub 2 is more in the cards.  There is a part of me that is not particularly content with that, but the broader brain recognizes what it is and what I can / cannot do about it.

Oh by the way, it is fun to geek out at cross comparing the results across different years here.

In any case, looking at those results, I can see I need to be careful in the Ws.  Frankly, I have proven multiple times that while I can run the W’s hard, I pay in spades for it up to No Name.  If I am running smart, however, I can really roll to the 7.8 sign, and the down.  Times might be different but tactics need to be the same.  The biggest mental challenge for me has always been that first damn road … it is just that you are with everyone so it is easy to get pulled into someone else’s race and the excitement of the race.  As the the course description states:  The hill that starts at Hydro Street is the steepest on the course and it is silly to take the chance of blowing your race on such a short section. Indeed, this one section has probably been the cause of more poor performances than any other on the course.

I was recently talking to someone about PPA who has an itch to run around 2:45.  The whole conversation reminds me about child management:  as a parent, you are an expert on how someone else should manage / lead / discipline their kid.  Conversely, you are a complete moron, idiot when trying to do the same to your own.  Same thing with races … it is easy for me to tell this person, “just to Barr Camp like you wanted to run a 2:50 Ascent.  Then when you get to Barr Camp, run like you want to run a 2:45.  And when you get to A frame, run as hard as you can.  When you start to walk, get back to the run.  Compete.  Catch people.  Push to the finish.  Everyone will be hurting, it is what you want to do in that hurt that makes a 10 minute difference.”  Easily said.  Kind of like what I say about how other should parent.

Just catching up on this and these race shots where Eric Blake encounters a bear are pretty cool.

I found this post by Nick Clark, particularly his tone in the video posts, regarding HR to be very insightful.  That insight is that HR is nuts.

New SP tune for dl.

PM – easy five

14 comments:

  1. I think Nick was just bored with how slow we were going at that point...

    Good luck at Barr Trail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick - great job at HR. That is just incredible.

    and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just think of how much beer you could buy us if you got that first prime...

    Maksimow in the top 10, it's his home course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know of one guy who absolutely already stated he is going for the first prime. Masters guy with at least 60 second quarter speed, so beatable, but a bit beyond my capabilities at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There has been variability with it, but it has always been before the big right switchback onto the W's ... but I think it has been anywhere between some of the steep section of the road, and the where the typically PPA/PPM first aid station is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't the first one about 200 meters into the race, near Mountain Man Steve's house, at the top of that super steep climb?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Generally, but I have seen it in other places in the past. I think it is whereever the guy with the horn decides to stand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to be there ass early on race day, I'll try to find out and let you know. $100 would cover your gas and a lot of beer in Manitou.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Umm ... I am NOT going for the prime in case that is not clear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peter Omae from Kenya is here (I bumped into him after my run this morning) and is ready to run. Look for him to finish in the top three.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Jesse. I will blatantly admit I generally ignore the Kenyans because they have not effectively panned out on these races before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He seems like the read deal to me, but we shall see tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete