Friday, July 16, 2010

Omen?

Broomfield was ranked the 19th best place to live according to Money Magazine.

Whatever.

Fort Collins was ranked sixth.

Hmmm … 

… I ranked Clark as seventh coming into the BTMR. 

Does he get sixth and I get 19th?  Who come closer to or beats their city’s ranking?  I’d place another brew bet on this one for Sunday afternoon but I do need to be able to drive home.

Oh, and Overland Park as number seven?  Please.  I was there six weeks ago and any place where you need gills to breathe does not make my list.

5 comments:

  1. How many people run the race? 150? I saw Mt. Pleasant was 100...so if I toed the line (I am not) it would yet still make sense.

    I lot of those places I saw were in Minnesota and crap. No offense to Minnesotans, but I don't think a place is great to live (IMHO) if you can only go outside a few months of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, okay, but I like your chances better. 19th was 1:51 last year (including girls) and sixth was 1:39, but it will be faster this year.

    I know you've been chatting about breaking 2hrs as a goal, but that is complete sandbagginess considering you've run 1:47/48 the last three years.

    I'm predicting you earn two beers tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Brett, there is some beautiful country in MN, but I am less inclined to the colder climes as I age.

    Nick, I'd like to think the whole thing is going to be deeper this year, and agree - particularly up front.

    Okay, just to combat the sandbag front, I will buy a brew for you and JT for each complete minute sub 1:50 I go. I'd be pretty happy to buy such a prize. Simply put, I just have not seen the times on typical routes that I have in the past, and so I am gauging off that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just giving you a hard time on the sandbag bit, but really, there's no way you're a full min per mile slower than last year, right?

    Sounds like a fair insurance bet on the opposite end of the equation for JT.

    I think our bet is pretty fair though, especially if you're running a little slower this year. As is - no insurance needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @GZ: Good luck and have fun, hope you owe lots of beers!

    @Brett: While I disagree with much of the city rankings, as well as the specific MN suburbs mentioned, I have to stick up for the state...I only lived there 2 years, but there's a fairly awesome mix of the most Western world-class cosmopolitan area until you get to SF, LA, and Seattle, sorry Denver), lots of trails and lakes in the city itself, and gobs of forest to the North and East. They've got a good thing with Team Minnesota running, one of the highest percentages of bike commuters in the city in the US, and a great x-country ski scene for the winter, plus the Arrowhead 135 in February. If I ever move back there, only thing I'm worried about is mountains and sunshine, but not keeping busy all year. (End of Minnesota Tourism Bureau plug....)

    ReplyDelete