Friday, July 2, 2010

Various 070210

Tonight I could buy a 22 oz bottle of Marajaha for 8.99 or a 12 pack of PBR for 9.99.  Which would you buy? … just in case you were on the fence …



… just saying … (okay, does he look like a kid at a HS party that just heard the cops are here or what?) (except with a medal around his neck).

WTF is up with Boulder OSMP closing all the parking to the park trail heads between 3-11 on 070410?

Kilian’s race report is a little rough through the translator, but he tips his cap to Tony, Geoff, and Nick.   As a kid I read a lot of comics, and there was a series called … “What if? …”   I can’t help but wonder “what if” Kilian gets hydration and fueling figured out.  Given the cap tips that Geoff and Tony have made to him … damn.  That said, Kilian says of the finish of WS – “ this result has been some last 20 miles very, very hard, no doubt, the toughest 20 miles of my life” -  specifically after speaking of the slugfest with Sir Nick.

Watch for that kid to come back and do some scary shit.  What if Kilian ran Pikes?

It took me 40 years to buy an actual motor propelled lawn mower.  I have used a reel mower for the last 15 years in the “flats.”  I have joked this is because of my foot – that I am scared of power mowers but I really am not.  In fact, at the age of 8, I was riding a tractor mower without issue.  But tonight we got a power mower … so that the kids could actually cut the lawn.  I am on the fence on this, but they seem to be cool with it.  In any case, an era is over.  I hope this blog stays hang nine, and not hang eight or less.

P7020022 P7020017   
In any case, HR odds are upHomie gave me a reminder of the Skaggs record.

If I could find a way to live a life where I played with my family and wife every day, ran 20 miles a day in the mountains and flats, and had a few beers … well, shit it does not get much better than that.  (notice, I am almost there, there is just this crap called work in between).

I picked off three ticks on my run.  Never had to pick off one EVER in Colorado before.  Good thing it was humid and so I was sweaty slimy.

15 comments:

  1. hang one would just be weird, and, frankly, I'd kidnap you and travel the carnival circuit.
    Kilian would destroy pikes, especially the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess if Kilian could run a sub 15 at WS then that would be unreal. Roes had a tough day too. Though at least he carried water :-0

    AK and KJ are sooo young. The sport is going to get sicker and sicker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the most interesting thing Kilian says in the report is that he's coming back for WS 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It still surprises me why Killians crew didn't bring a waterpack or handheld and have him start using it once they realized it was needed. Seems like quite the oversight from such a large support crew.

    Ticks in Eastern Ontario and North-east US can carry Lyme Disease. If you get bit by one it's a good idea to save it, get it tested and know the symptoms. Not sure if it's a concern in your area though. Just got a nasty bite here recently.

    Oh... go for the PBR, but only if they don't have Creemore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get that Kilian is a freak talent and everyone recognizes that, but come on, he got beat by an hour. You guys are getting out of control - lets keep the bandwagon in check and not take anything from the guys that got it done on that day. I'm looking forward to seeing Geoff race him at UTMB and Tony race at PPM and not putting any what if's out there.

    Derrick - I asked the Salomon guys about the water multiple times during the race and got a "he said it was a short race and didn't need it" reply. There was probably a mix of cockiness and some truth in their response.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto on what Justin said. Speaking to Adam Chase (Salomon team director) the day after, Kilin had been fully briefed but said water at aid stations would be fine. He was apparently told multiple times it was a big risk, but decided to go bottle-less anyway. And, as Justin says, he was beaten by an hour.

    I like Scott J or John Anderson at Hardrock. No way Karl gets the job done with all the injuries he's carrying into the race, especially if he chooses to run on stilts.

    When's the next TT? JP mentioned something about Mt Falcon on my blog after the FoCo showdown (followed by beer at a nearby residence). Seems like we're entering prime hill TT territory. Anyone? JP?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I realize I am coming across as a bit on KJ's jock but ... after reading the reports from GR and AK, where they both tipped their cap to him, you see his age and the mistakes he made ... well, it leaves you wondering what he brings if it runs smart. That said, he got third.

    And yes, I want to see GR and AK at those races as well.

    These ticks did not get a bite on, or at least did not secure in. I could feel them before they did. Grew up in CT, so familiar with Lyme disease ... I think the ones out here can carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

    I am in for the next TT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I talked to the Salomon guys at states they agreed that it wasn't a good idea to run without water but basically said it was his choice and were not going to tell him what to do...I agree he has talent, but in a 100 fueling is equally as important as running fitness and is a big part of the race. Also, I don't know if you can use age as an excuse for his mistakes - he is young but having won UTMB twice has plenty of experience. Anyway that is just my 2 cents

    Nick - it depends what kind of shape Karl is in (he may just be sandbagging it). John DNF'd last time at HR - I read something about projectile vomiting - so you never know what will happen. With Scotts experience I figure he is the man to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another chime...

    Ditto what JM and NC and NP have said. I haven't had any of the coolade. Goes back to my questions about the kid's support on his "quests." WS was the first time Roes had even a pacer (i think that's what he said). That means something to me.

    And even if Kilian has a "good" day, Roes and Mackey probably run anyone down. Roes Destroyed the record.

    I just wish Nick had finished third.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two ticks on me this morning, both on the southern side of Mesa Trail! One on the leg and one on the forearm that I picked off and had it jump and try to attach to my chest. I felt both climb on board before they set.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm coming from the opposite side of most. I didn't even pick Kilian for top 5 (mostly figured he'd have some deep fatigue even if he felt rested). Nick P makes a very clear point that Kilian is quite experienced. Reading the comments of Geoff regarding his awe of KJ and his running ability is something I've never read Geoff write before, not even about Uli.

    Gotta go with Scott Jaime at HR; tremendous fitness, experienced at the course, and due.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Matt - believe me, I tried, but thanks for the thought, and thanks also for the pre-race mojo on your site.

    Tim - give Geoff's NF50 report another read: http://akrunning.blogspot.com/2009/12/sweet-defeat.html. He puts Uli up on a pretty high pedestal there, but I see what you're saying about a runner of his caliber respecting another runner that way, and that having to speak volumes.

    I dunno, time will tell on Kilian's true ultra-endurance talent (UTMB later this summer?), but you still got to think that the shorter mountain course is where he should truly be feared.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Kilian made a mistake running without water and he proved it to me when he came up to me shortly after I finished and showed me a bag of his urine.

    It looked like coffee.

    I told him my kidney failure story from AC 2004, etc, etc and put him in the hands of Kevin Swachuk who was doing medical and has finished the WS 100 10 times.

    I am not sure why he went without a bottle but he did and he paid the price.

    I, for one, hope he comes back next year but, you all know me, I hope the entire top-10 comes back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not sure if I should comment on post race antics at WS if guys are showing each other bags of their own urine.

    Well, I guess I just did.

    It sounds like, as least now, he plans to come back, and that he has admitted to learning quite a few lessons. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  15. a bag of his urine? blehck!

    ReplyDelete