Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday 111210

It was in the 20s this morning and I saw kids biking to school in t-shirts and shorts.  I recall being able to do that and actually telling folks I was not cold.  And I wasn’t.  Of course now, that seems completely insane to me.  My son was insisting on going to school in shorts today (and I let him).

I had my biometric screening this AM.  Weighed in at 154 fully dressed, sporting my keys, phone, ipod, wallet, etc.  No biggie.  Was a bit surprised at my BP however as it measured at 130/88.  That is technically classified as prehypertension.  Great.  Salty meal last night maybe? 

They took two vials of blood and I was done.  I will post those numbers when I get them.

For a moment, I was considering throwing my name in the WS100 lottery.  Post script – duh!~   I do not have a qualifier to enter.

PM – 10.5 miles easy.  Ran around JZ’s school as I waited for his day to end.

image

18 comments:

  1. You're tellin' me that being the 4th ranked Ass Master in the world doesn't get you in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drinking too much alcohol can raise blood pressure to unhealthy levels probably more easily than sodium unless you are eating more than about 3g per day (it has a lot to do with genetics and sodium sensitivity). Having more than three drinks in one sitting though temporarily increases your blood pressure and of course repeated binge drinking can lead to long-term increases. For most people, blood pressure changes only modestly when sodium levels are suddenly increased. It happens when the kidneys are unable to filter out excess sodium without significant increases in blood pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Careful, you'll need those Kidneys if you get into States!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I did have 2 beers last night. But bigger picture, while I did not have any beers in the last couple of days before that, I have been enjoying a few brews nearly every night for much of the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squeezing your Johnson with both hands as hard as you can whilst someone is trying to acquire your blood pressure is generally not good.

    So likely you'll hear back you are pre-hypertension and that you have very strange personal habits during medical checks.

    Just don't tell them you also blow snot rockets into your hat on the treadmill, put it back on, and keep on running. They might send you off to the sanitarium.

    I've pulled HR 42 and BP like 105 over 65 before and they kind of freeze and look at me like I'm about to pass out or something. Apparently regular people have all kinds of strange things that can happen when they get nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brett - ah, LMAO. What an image.

    Back when Brandon and Lucho were getting the "chop" I was trying to convince them to go to the follow up appt with a mason jar "full" and tell the doc that this what had been happening since the procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually have a very funny story from my follow up 'swimmer count' after the vasectomy... straight out of Seinfeld. This is a family friendly forum though so I'll save it for a run.

    And you do need to take what most non-sports doctors tell you with a grain of salt (pun intended). Remember that they compare your results against the 'average' American... I consider that to be an insult. I always go to the doctor armed with knowledge relevant to my (our) unique athletic lifestyle. At first we butted heads (until he figured out that mine is far harder than his) but we've reached a middle ground now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would bet that's a good measure since you do not binge, hell you maintain too much activity (mileage) to fall victim the kind of behavior that would alter those numbers. That's just you (130/88).

    But I think there are other numbers that might give you a better assessment of your health.

    In other words, you're a healthy guy. And lifestyle (diet, exercise) can only do so much to modify genetics.

    Of course, major changes to diet can do some amazing shit (from making your shit amazingly healthy to curing cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc.)

    How about some vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should have consulted with you guys before the chop. I thought 'oh I'll just do nothing for a few days, and then I'll be running in maybe 5-6 days'. I was sore for a week, and didn't run until day 7, and I had to wire tri/bike style shorts under my running shorts for an entire extra week.

    Of course, when the doc strolled in with dull butter knives and salad tongs, and when he said the colonoscopy was all standard part of the deal, it probably should have been a red flag.

    ReplyDelete
  10. GZ, I'd bet money your BP was a matter of going for the exam.

    I discovered that my BP is a good 15-20 mmHg higher at a doctor than at home. Yes, getting my BP tested at the lab was causing my BP to go up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to go dig it up, but I think in a test a year ago it was like 122 over 78 or something.

    I am not going to freak about it but I am not going to ignore it. I think over the years, I have had a tendency to think that because I exercise more than the average bear - certain rules don't apply to me. Not really true.

    FWIW my RHR was 42 while this was all going down. I think it dips sub 40 while sleeping.

    Lucho - regarding docs, yeah ... I think I am more inclined to seek the feedback of our community of fellow runners and bloggers than docs who have a tough time taking care of themselves and are motivated by other motives.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome job on the body weight by the way. I do think that doctors are often times motivated by 'other motives', but I would never want their job. In a way I can empathize with them. Lets say a guy comes in to Dr. Zack's office and he is 300 pounds, a smoker and has manic depression. There are drugs on the market that will save him but won't make him healthier. He tells you he HAS tried eating healthfully and tries to exercise but he hates it. You have 300 seconds to help the man. You can plead with him to change his diet and stop smoking and start walking... or you can prescribe the drug that he is most likely WANTING (he doesn't want to stop eating and smoking, it's probably all he has in his life). A drug that will simultaneously soften and prolong the agony he goes through and you'll make an extra $100 because of it. After he leaves you spend the next 8 hours seeing one version or another of the same guy. Now do that 6 days a week for 20 years... no thanks. I might be off the mark and I'm sure that it isn't nearly that horrible. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just back pedaled a little bit realizing how bleak that comment was. My point was that I think doctors are fighting an uphill battle against people who don't want to change. Why exercise when I can take a pill? Doctors might have other motives ($) but I truly believe that when it comes to health, you and I responsible for being healthy to the best of our abilities through diet (#1), limiting environmental exposure to chemicals(#2), moderate exercise and also our mental health. In most cases a doctor is responsible for repairing the damage that we do to ourselves through neglect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get your argument Tim. Arguably, I ought to have a broader more mature view on these sort of things than what I posted above, because I work in the healthcare software industry - but that view seems to break down a bit when I consider how I interact personally with the healthcare system.

    Hmmm ... that might be true for many things actually. Substitute healthcare system with legal system or ... anyway ...

    Anyway, yeah, I agree. Docs are unfortunately not equipped or set up to be those who prevent issues in the first place. I guess there are disciplines that are focused on that of course, but given the business, the numbers, the average human thing ... it falls apart.

    Maybe however where doctors are in the position to do repair, COACHES are.

    I kind of like that.

    Yeah, weight is up. Not worried about it though. I can trim that up pretty quickly when needed. That is probably not seen as healthy either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just do what you think is best...Good luck!

    ReplyDelete