11 miles in the land of 10000 plus feet. Yeah, the land where a quarter mile in 3 minutes can be quite the effort. This sort of running is the opposite of the treadmill work, where everything is controlled and dialed in. Instead here, it is snow, wind, thin air and incredibly blue sky. At least it was blue sky this AM. It is blowing snow here now.
70 miles on the week. 10.75 hours. 205 miles on November, 30.25 hours. 3655 miles on the year and 555.5 hours on the year. Little milestone here. I have passed the number for 10 miles at day for the year, and have pretty much assured that I will exceed my miles from last year. Not a bad week – a race, a bit of up pace work and fair miles. I trimmed miles back a bit by design – and the week lent well to it as well. I am also thinking about that 4000 number (345 away). That is probably not the smartest objective to have, but it is in the head anyway. Next week will probably be a bit more of the same … lower miles here on Monday and Tuesday because of skiing, easy on Wednesday because I will probably race on Thursday.
Oh, but the big news on the week is apparently my blood pressure is fine. My father in law has blood pressure cuff at his place, so I decided to check it out.
Earlier, before I ate a bowlful of chips and salsa, it was measuring at 115 over 65.
BP spikes like that (chipsandsalsa)?
ReplyDeleteYou seem healthy to me (which means, I guess, nothing).
Salude.
I have no idea what makes such significant variance in BP. Not gonna worry about it yet either.
ReplyDeleteOh - and I am now having an upslope IPA. A little medicine.
ReplyDeleteSalude.
It's important to be pro-active and have a little medicine regularly and not just wait until you're sick. Is the upslope the IPA in a can that's made in Breck?
ReplyDeleteyou and i share almost the same bp!
ReplyDeletehttp://ghostfeather.wordpress.com/2010/11/21/taking-it-easy/
Got one in the house? Way cool. My latest was 113/70 FWIW. Altitude can affect it though GZ.
ReplyDeleteRick - Upslope, a more malty IPA done in a can in Boulder.
ReplyDeleteTim - yeah, but I have never seen lower than 38 on the HR, and that was (interestingly) up here in Fairplay.
Happytrails - how does altitude effect it? I guess that makes sense but would it cause a BP drop?
yes, altitude/pressure can affect blood pressure both positively and negatively (e.g. scuda diving).
ReplyDeleteBP goes up at altitude.
ReplyDeleteChrissie Wellington placed 8th over-all at Ironman Arizona :) in 8:36.
So having a lower BP at altitude is even better.
ReplyDelete8:36. Wow. But she did sub 8:20 at Roth, right?
I believe you'd have to go above 14,000 ft to adversely affect (raise) your avg bp.
ReplyDeleteI'm guessing the test at the docs was not an accurate example of your normal bp due to many of the reasons listed in the comments of that post...
I am going to take a few more checks over it while we are here for the next few days ... including after a few beers to just observe it up.
ReplyDeleteHmm. And the ham, horseradish, mashed taters ... might be time for a BP check.
Stepping back and looking at it, I guess you could say that "stressing" the body with barometric pressure up or down can cause high bp. I've dove a few times to around 120 ft (20 fathoms) and my bp was as though I was running at 8 min pace. Wish I would've taken it any time I've been 14k or higher. Looks like an excuse to climb a mountain this weekend!
ReplyDeleteThe heck w/ BP. Let's talk Upslope! A very fine beverage.
ReplyDeleteYep, what you're seeing is exactly what happens to me: my BP is fine at home, and it goes up at the lab because I'm nervous. Self-fulfilling prophecy. After two months of the same numbers at home (around 110-115 over 75), I quit testing or worrying about it.
ReplyDeleteMmm. IPA.