Catching up on weekend link loving …
1.) Ryan Hall is going to be coached by God? How unfair is that? I mean, doesn’t God exactly know what the outcome of your next workout will be before you actually do it? Well, if you can’t get him/her as a coach, you could go to camp.
2.) No surprise, Geb is unretired.
3.) Along the line of elite marathoners, Hudson hints at calling bullsh*t on all the form stuff we have been hearing about with Ritz with Alberto. More on form from Bobby M.
4.) Good read on HS sportsmanship. (thanks to Timmy G)
5.) Wes Sanatee, US pioneer in the mile, 1500, has passed away.
6.) Dave Mackey … hmm, I thought he might be off on his fitness a little bit given he has been in school, but given he ran a trail half at 80, he might be more ready for NF50 than I thought.
7.) JT pointed out to me that today is Pikes Peak or Bust Day. On this day in 1806, Lt. Zebulon Montgomery Pike sighted a mountain peak that now bears his name. Pike was leading a survey party into the newly acquired Louisiana Purchase when he spotted the snowcapped peak in the distance. “Pikes Peak or Bust!” was the familiar slogan of many a wagon train settler traveling west in the 1800s.
8.) This still rocks.
8.) Started listening to this podcast today. Interesting stuff in there from Macca. I truly enjoy interviews with this guy more than most athletes because his passion really comes through. It REALLY comes through in this one.
9.) PM – 7 miles super easy. I was a bit more worked from yesterday than I thought (yesterday). Backed off both the intensity and quantity today. Video is a nod on (at least) three fronts to Lucho.
God as a coach? Look out Lucho!
ReplyDeleteHall is genetically gifted, motivated and works hard to make the most of his gifts, but whatever gets him through the day.
I'm getting my coaching from coach Carlin....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RT6rL2UroE
Though perhaps that is why I will never be nearly as fast as Ryan Hall... ;).
Classic Jeff! Carlin was a GREAT.
ReplyDeleteWe go to church very often and I am a big believer (pardon the pun) in how it can help lay a firm moral foundation for our children.
ReplyDeleteHaving said that, I also believe there is a lot of bullpoop (reference to George Carlin) in religion that you have to steer clear of.
And I also don't believe in all the mega-outward almost preaching some people do. Now what happens when he doesn't win - if God is his coach, does that mean he doesn't like Ryan? What if he gets injured? Reminds me of the athlete in the post game interview who thanks God for the win. PUH-LEASE. Keep it to yourself.
Hey, it it works for him, great. If not, it is his trip.
ReplyDeleteI am pretty much fine with what folks want to believe as long as it is not hurting anyone and everyone is consenting (of adult age).
I agree with George and like with anything else in life, as long as it is not hurting anyone, to each their own. Whatever one wants to believe in to get through this journey and look forward to beyond is fine by me.
ReplyDeleteI personally have trouble with the narrow mindedness and hypocrisy exercised by many religions, not to mention the wars, hatred and bloodshed throughout history against those who do not conform to certain beliefs.
On a lighter note, in the video from the Backcountry Half Marathon, some interesting stuff starting at 4:56. Interesting running style by the guy making that surge up the hill, then backs off a bit too soon. Congrats to Dave, looks like he is really on form.
Interesting on Hall. Not much to add or disagree with above, except for one thought: I couldn't rationally see how this could help his running, since why wouldn't/couldn't divine inspiration also come from people and training knowledge around you?
ReplyDeleteThen a new possibility occurred: the public display of faith alone very well could be enough of a motivation (for him). He obviously knows the training basics, enough that focused execution of those basics might be the most important component (this is different than an uncoached high-schooler trying the same thing). And the basics are uncomplicated and individual enough that one can't really make a direct comparison to what would happen if one of us tried the same approach in a more complicated and dynamic career.
Now that he has tied his performance to the most important thing in his life == increased pressure, similar to how we sign up for races (or other public performances) as a self-pressure to do our best. That is, the public announcement is a critical and necessary component.
It's not for me, but it could end up being brilliant for him, and even arguably rational. For him!
I guess I come across as a bit critical of guys like Hall and Ritz. That is not really my intent. I do want to see them race as well as they can. Runners can relate to other runners in the ups, the downs, the good, the bad - probably better than others can in other sports.
ReplyDelete... and I think the arc of Webb, Ritz, Hall - same graduating class is pretty amazing in that regard.
I was teasing a bit about Hall being coached by God, because it goes along with that over played joke of if Jesus ran a track meet. I can see that for some, such jokes might not be very funny. But I am a bit sophomoric.
But, I am sure Hall will do well as a marathoner - regardless if he is coached by himself, divinely, or by some other human. Again - whatever works to motivate appropriately.
His win at the OT was pretty epic.
Boxers are my favorite. "I'd like to thank my family and especially God for helping beat his face like a bloody rotten tomato."
ReplyDeleteElite road racers are in a different business than mountain runners, but has Mc, AK or GR ever had a coach after college?
ReplyDeleteNone that I am aware. Good observation ... I am not aware of any of those guys having coaches.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite is 'God bless America'. I love my country, but I doubt that God draws lines like that.
ReplyDeleteI don't think that Ryan is saying that God is going to 'coach' him. He believes that his faith in God will guide him to do what is right. And for Ryan this probably motivates him to do his best FOR God. I see a lot of God fearing folk supporting Ryan, and the not-so-much God fearing folk calling him a crack pot. I tend to believe that we fear what we don't understand. Which in turn makes us aggressive and angry against such a thing. It's a similar mechanism that drives us to racism, sexism, or hatred against gays. Ignorance and an unwillingness to learn or at least tolerate people different than us is the driving force behind how we feel.
I have no problem at all with him being coached by God. To each his own, whatever floats your boat, etc.
ReplyDeleteBut as a spectator who enjoys "the game" and particularly watching the way athletes position themselves to win, I see this as a little desperate.
Before even hearing about the God-coach story, he seems to be struggling as America's next great marathoner. Sure he's successful but he hasn't broken through and I bet Meb winning NYC kinda stung a bit. He's not getting it done, so he needs a change. That's the thinking. Sorry if that sounds blunt or off-base. But I think that's much of the case.
Maybe I'm cranky.
Now that I took the time to actually read the Ryan Hall article, I'm not so critical of it. I completely see MattF's point. Who knows - Hall could be completely burned out of having every bit of his life micromanaged but not breaking through and this is what he needs to not burn out. Really my only criticism at this point is that the piece appeared like a sales pitch for Matt's book. :)
ReplyDeleteHas anybody read that book yet?