Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Wednesday 111010

It pretty much seems like we, with we being the masters group at Fleet Feet, are not going to drum up a team for Club Nats..  No surprise, there is much more interest for San Diego hosting the non club variety of XC Nats in early February.

Interesting post on the BBMM by Mackey, and glad to see he is hopping in the NF 50.  That ought to be quite a race.  Showdown again between Roes and Krupicka.  Hmm … hopefully they will dice each other enough that I can move up at a bit in the Chubby Cheeks 50k.

Work in tech?  Might be time to ask for a raise.

image

11 miles.  I found five dollars on the trail.  Next to it was a receipt for McDonalds.  If you can tell me what McDonalds and what you bought, I will give you the five dollars.  Oh yeah, the 11 was easy.  TZ made some granola that I had for breakfast – which was great.  Just not for the run later in the AM.

Did this three times post the run to mix it up.  I completely suck at burpees/

Maybe I should take this up instead.

Fermentation, day 3.  This ferment is really rolling.  It might be the most aggressive I have ever seen in one of my batches.  I have changed the top stop one way flow valve a couple of times because the build up from the wort-croissen has actually come up through it.

PB080127

PB100138

18 comments:

  1. North Face 50 -

    Krupicka v. Roes, and Steidl, Wyatt, Mackey, Skaggs, Lundstrom...it's a huge list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys know if Matt C is planning on being there? I think you've got to think that Uli has as good a shot as any there with his leg speed. I mean the course is not a difficult one, it's really fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick,

    Matt C is not on the list, but new names appear to be showing up still.

    Uli "only" ran 2:27 at a marathon in Germany a month or so back. Not sure what that means for his fitness.

    The course does have 10K of climbing, all between 40 feet and 1,800 feet, I think that's some pretty serious climbing.

    As I told GZ in an email, deepest ultra ever, both men and women.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure how technical the course is, but it does have 10,731' of climbing as well as the same for the decent. I agree, Uli should be the favorite with what he did to that course last year. Hard to tell though, we kind of know what AK and GR have been up to, but what have Uli and Wyatt been doing this year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm picking team shart for the upset.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tough to think of so many of these guys on the list NOT winning. Incredible field.

    My gut is telling me that Wyatt is going to do something pretty special and steal the race. Tough to bet against him even though he's not experienced at the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I'm surprised you guys think Wyatt will be up there. I don't think he'll crack the top 5. He's not the same runner he used to be, gets beat pretty regularly on the European mountain scene it seems like now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I'd be surprised too if Wyatt makes any noise. That said, $10k is some pretty decent motivation to take the training seriously, and I'm sure he's been getting some decent pointers from the Salomon folk. I hear one of his teammates is a pretty good endurance runner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Justin - are you going to do a preview to that race? The list you sent is mind boggling when I look at it. I know that folk can see that at the NF site, but you parsed it down to the best players.

    I also don't see Wyatt on the podium.

    50 miles tho ... different game than a 100.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Figured, so I did not cross post here to steal your thunder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Justin- 10k' is solid, but this trail is buffed, and you can really hammer it.

    I think we all know Tony can kill it, so it'll be interesting to see how he does, especially considering his run at Miwok. Altitude will be a huge advantage for our boys and I'm particularly interested to see if Roes has gained that same advantage from his time in Ned. The 10K' is only 3k' more than the Boulder Basic...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Altitude is a great thing, but Uli CRUSHED this last year - killing what Matt C did the year before. This race should be epic. Not sure what Wyatt will bring but a 2:13, a 1:02 and 56:?? up MW gives him the fastest resume for this race. Let's let the talkin' begin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uh, Mackey ran 9 mins faster at Miwok than Anton (and anyone else). After mashing the CR at Firetrails last month (a stout long time record), I'm pulling for Dave to win it. Uli is the ultra giant killer. Shows how smooth and fast, even with the climb, this course is for the most part. Regardless, it'll be awesome to follow! Hope I can make it out there myself to see the aftermath.
    tl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what a tangled web it will be...
    Dave trumps Anton at Miwok, Anton trumps Uli at White River, Uli trumps Geoff at NF50, Wyatt's CR at MW will last longer than the PPM/PPA CR ;-)... But most of this is all done without these guys actually racing eachother - so this race is actually going to be a real race, that's the best part...
    Looking forward to your preview Justin!

    ReplyDelete
  15. With course knowledge (not getting lost, knowing how to pace the ups/downs) at a premium, the big 4 to me are Mackey, TonyK, Geoff, and Uli (not in any order). I really think you can throw a blanket on them. They are all close enough in experience, fitness, and familiarity with the course my personal opinion is that it will come down to just whoever has the best day between them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too early to make a call.
    But Dave Mackey's energy looks
    pretty promising.

    A week out, let the predictions begin. . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Geoff is staying at my cabin in Ned, so I'm hoping, for his sake, that none of what I've got has rubbed off.

    ReplyDelete