I woke with a dull headache, even though I had gotten a good night of sleep. Skipped the AM coffee and worked on some morning hydration.
I think I may have been a bit careless in getting up here the other day. In retrospect, I unconsciously skipped the number one thing I take care of when I typically get up here -- and that is get ahead a bit on hydration. I think going into yesterday’s ski session a bit dehydrated, playing at 11, 12k feet, in some pretty cold circumstances, and then pushing it a bit on the slopes left me racked.
I have been getting good time on sleep up here, but I noticed something in the mornings. As I was “naturally” waking up (meaning, without forcing a wake up), I doze in about for ten to fifteen breaths, and then I’d take a much much deeper breath and that would sort of wake me up. I thought this might be the altitude and my body’s way of catching up on oxygen while I sleep, but TZ told me I do this all the time when I am waking up (and that it sort of drives her crazy).
Got out in the morning for a great run up towards Mosquito Pass. It was beautiful out. I cut out at the big turn past the lower London Mine, as I was getting a bit pressed for time (and it probably would have gotten nasty up there anyway). Kept the whole effort easy. Felt good, and the head ache was clear post run. 17 miles.
Starting … resting HR looks okay, elevation at 10.5k.
Heading out, looking towards Mosquito Range
Just below “Park City:
Self portrait
Mosquito Pass is closed. Some old tags from the Burro Race
London Mountain on the right, Mosquito Mountain on the right. This is at the London Mine (lower).
Snotsickle
Lots of day dreaming on today’s run about next year. I was a bit pleased to see Tony reference WS in a recent post, and how he thinks about trading jabs with Kilian . Similarly, I think about Pikes, and doing there what I think I can really do. But then I try not to think about it because if I think too much about it, it is almost a sure thing to set up a disaster. But I do think about it. Playing around with all sorts of stuff for next year … more to come on that. But, yeah, Pikes is in there, if for anything at a minimum, it is in there given the auto-entry I have, and my cheap nature.
Justin has some good previews up for RT re: the NF50 -- Men's preview and the Women's preview
Great pics! Makes me wish I was back in pb.
ReplyDeleteLet me tell you how much snotcicle you have......too much.
ReplyDeleteJealous, wish I were up there in the high country.
ReplyDeleteIn the begining of the video, Mosquito Peak, then "Repeater Peak" (aka pt. 13,548) to the left. London Mountain appears :20 seconds in, directly above London Mine.
http://jeffvalliere.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2008-08-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&updated-max=2008-09-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=22
http://jeffvalliere.blogspot.com/2009/09/thursday-91709-mt-evans-b-13577-london.html
Jeff - you are right (of course!)
ReplyDeleteTomdog - a little east of there but essentially the same thing. What brought you to OK from Pb?
JP - that is nothin ... Sir Nick wins: http://irunmountains.blogspot.com/2009/12/week-ending-dec-13.html
Great pics.. I'm going to steal one of those panoramics for my header... with your permission of course.
ReplyDeleteNo problem Ward. Go for it.
ReplyDeleteNo problem Ward. Go for it.
ReplyDeleteGreat snots...I mean shots.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure that your mother in law is pleased to know that the mitts she made for you are great snot wipes.
GZ - ran the Leadville Marathon last year. Good friend of ours bought a house in Leadville a few years back and we stayed with them. He has been running the Leadville 100 since the very early days. One of the coolest, pun intended, places we have ever been. I am thinking about heading back next year for an Ultra or MTB race. You must be on the Breck side.
ReplyDeleteCool. South of Breck, on the east side of the continental divide, below Hoosier Pass. On the Fairplay / Alma side.
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving GZ (..and all the other Z's, too!!)
ReplyDeleteVery cool pics GZ. Nothing better then being in the high country during this time of year.
ReplyDeleteThat's a heck of a run that high. Nice.
ReplyDeleteHow do you like the Paclite for running? I need to get some wind protection for later in the season. One lightweight, one heavier for high-altitude cold/wind.
Derrick - she was cracking up when I told her, showed her the video. Good thing I am the favorite (only) son in law.
ReplyDeleteHappyTrails - likewise. We have gots to gets together for a run in 2011.
Jaime - amen to that. Although it would be pretty harsh up there today.
Mtnrunner - I love that coat. I wore it in the 2008 PPA - which was NASTY, and that coat was awesome. When I need something heavier when I know it will be wet for a while, I can even pack a down layer underneath.