Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thursday 110310

1.) Parts of this article on “anaerobic” development have shades of Lucho.  Then Alan C posted this garage strength thing

2.)  Good read on stride rate versus stride frequency (by a guy who was quite a runner at one point)

3.)  Looks like the increase in sales tax for Boulder County for more open space acquisition passed.

4.)  Slept in.  Last night’s dreams included me driving to Nebraska (not sure why) and ending up driving the wrong direction on the highway.

5.)  Trying to determine if the Fleet Feet team would be willing / able to field a masters team at Club Nats in NC.  Not much interest at this point, but there seems to be more interest in XC Nats in San Diego for early next year.

6.)  Anyone know if the lady bugs have taken over the top of Green as they have in the past years?  (yeah, I know, I need to get my arse out there).  I am guessing they have not … wondering why.

7.)  Green Mtn.  10 miles.

PB040096

8.)  I hear that November is called Mo-vember by some, with the “mo” supposedly being the short hand for moustache.  Okay, let’s get the stauches going then.

9.)  The picks by these folks for NY Marathon this weekend are interesting.  I have to grin at Meyer picking Geb as a DNF.

10 comments:

  1. So, even your unconscious subconscious knows that it's best to stay away from NE. West is better anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe #4 was your subconscious telling you you need to watch Dumb and Dumber again. "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."

    ReplyDelete
  3. You couldn't see where you were going because your contacts fell out the night before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so the article on anaerobic development says, "The typical 2:11 marathoner is capable of running a sub-48-second 400m."

    I call bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen Bekele, more than once, go about :52 on the final lap of a 27:00 10,000 meters. Not sure how how big :04 is at that level, but seems to translate to me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. No lady bugs yet this year, not sure why. Sept./Oct. is usually prime time, but last year they were infesting the summits late July all the way into the Winter. This year, I have not seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'capable' of a 48" 400... easily. When they are in 2:11 marathon shape? Probably not. But in terms of sheer ability then not a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patrick-Sean-Rick: I am almost eager to go to bed to see what comes tonight now.

    Yeah, a few folks so that 48 / 2:11 and called BS. Maybe it is, maybe it is not ... but that was not the point of the article in my opinion. (and if you were a 48 guy focused on distance, you'd probably be more interested in breaking four for the mile then running a now mediocre 2:11).

    The point was that speed contributes to distance speed. Contributes ... does not DICTATE but contributes. If you can only crank out a 70 second quarter, I am willing to bet that it would be tough stretch to break 5 in the mile. And hence sub 16:30 in the 5k, etc, etc. (not saying these cannot be done, it is just a bit of odds).

    JV - got up there today and yup, they are not up there. WHY?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder how fast Bill Rodgers ran a quarter mile? He was quite a bit better than your "typical 2:11 guy" but I'd bet a hundred dollars he never ran 400m in less than 50 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The article is not saying that a 2:11 guy can walk out tomorrow and run a 48" 400. It only says that in terms of physiology that they have the genetics and the potential. If I am 'capable' of murder that doesn't make me a murderer.

    ReplyDelete