Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunday 110710

1.)  Easy 10 miles.  Dog jog.  Four dogs.  (not all at once).  Felt pretty good.

2.) 74 miles on the week. 10.75 hours.  74 miles on November, 10.75 hours.  3524 miles on the year and 536 hours on the year.

3.) JZ unicycle:

  PB070116
4.) Home brew started
 PB070124 PB070126

5.)  I am not sure I believe this.  I mean I think Geb believes he is retiring today.  But this also a guy who last week said retirement was not even something to consider.  I think he is back for a spring marathon.  And why not – he can get some good bucks for it.

6.) I give my training a big old F for the week.  Why?  Simply because it was exercise and not training.  Don’t get me wrong, there are some elements of it that were good.  I got out and did stuff.  But it was not focused, or appropriately set up for success.  And actually, that is okay if you are in a season where you don’t want to be focused, and maybe just want to maintain the habit of getting out.

But I have said I have a focus of gearing towards a faster 5k, namely getting back under 17 minutes.  And to do this, I need to be comfortable with that pace (5:25ish) for at least a goodly portion of that distance.  So that is trainable.  It means doing work that includes efforts at that pace, or slightly faster.

But I can see I am challenged to do that.  I am not far off from doing that, but I am not doing it.  Why not?  Because I compromise those workouts before I even get to do them.  By chasing miles.  So rather than coming into a workout fresh, pawing at the ground, ready to attack it – I am a bit compromised.

So I get in a workout.  In fact, if you look at the HR data, it looks like I have worked pretty hard.  And I have.  But I have not done the work at the paces to support the goal I set.

Clearly, if I back off the miles the day before a key workout, or two – I am better equipped to attack the workout and advance in fitness.  I am pretty certain this is exactly why I exceeded expectations at the Denver Half.   And if I want to chase miles, then I can do that – on the day of my key workouts AFTER my workout.

And … the mixing in of the other work I need to do. 

So why ain’t I doing it?  Because … I like the time with the miles, I like the head space, I feel good with the 70 mile week and that is easier for me to get off of 10 a day then 3 one day and 17 the next. 

I am not convinced yet that I am willing to change.  But I will reap what I sow.

Blah …

7.) The most important thing in the dog squirrel war is patience.  You must wait for your prey to make a mistake.  Oh yes.  You must wait.  But when it comes …

PB070122

8.) Sam Adams Latitude 48 – pretty good.

9.) Lithia results caught my eye. 

10.) some Master named  Scott for won Masochist today.

5 comments:

  1. I agree on Geb, quite the spur of the moment reaction. He committed to Tokyo in the spring a week or two ago. Sure his knee appears to be injured, but with the retirement reaction, I think the pressure and the repeated questions of him ducking competitive marathon fields may be weighing on him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hit 78 last week. I think that means you owe me some of your homebrew.

    Scott and I are meeting for beers after the Backcountry half this Saturday, can you join us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. JT - you are always good in my book to share up some of the brew.

    In the spirit of "begging off" races, social gatherings, long runs, etc - I will continue that tradition. This weekend it will be off camping with the scouts again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. George: Great post. I would love to meet you for a run sometime soon--get your thoughts, wisdom and advice on a few things running related. Let me know if you'd like to meet. My e-mail is wchornsby at yahoo.

    Regarding Haile, I was really sad seeing him drop at mile 17 of New York. He is probably the greatest marathoner to ever live and what happened Sunday is no way to retire. My hope is that Haile recvers from his knee ailment and runs one final race.

    On the good side, Shalane Flanagan was awesome.

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wyatt - I dropped you a note. No wisdom here, just a lot of crankiness as I get older. I do have some good strategies for keeping kids off the lawn though.

    ReplyDelete