This is incredibly beautiful.
“It’s sublime, to go into another room and make pictures. It’s magic time, where all your weaknesses of character, the blemishes of your personality, whatever else torments you, fades away, just doesn’t matter. You’re doing the one thing you want to do and you do it well and you know you do it well, and… you’re happy. The whole promise is to do the work, sitting down at the drawing table, turning on the radio, and I think, what a transcendent life this is, that I’m doing everything I want to do. In that moment, I feel like I’m a lucky man.”
Thanks GZ. I am glad I got to listen to that and would have missed it if it weren't for your blog.
ReplyDeleteThat was great. I don't know if you caught it, but Fresh Air on NPR had Terri Gross doing a tribute to Sendak today, and it's worth a listen. What amazingly empathetic, sometimes dark, yet amazingly positive and humanistic thoughts. Incredibly frank. My favorite: "I'm love with the earth".
ReplyDeleteHe also pays Terri some well-deserved compliments... she's over-the-top good as an interviewer, my favorite ever.
Funny, I liked Where The Wild Things Are as a kid, but I don't remember it being scary at all because of monsters. I just liked the forest in the bedroom. Imagine that :)
GZ, thanks for posting that, I too would have probably missed this, very poignant.
ReplyDeleteJeff, thanks for your NPR link as well, just put it at the top of my listening queue for the day.
GZ- thanks for the post. I Fwd your blog to art teacher at the high school and she loved the vid. Much appreciated, thanks.
ReplyDeleteHe aptly described in terms of his writing and drawing how I feel on runs on some days. Just floating along the trail, with the pines around, the Flatirons soaring above ... carefree and flying.
ReplyDeleteOther days I feel like shit though.