Thursday, May 31, 2012

Decalibron

Bob joined me for a lap on the Decalibron this AM.  This is a loop out of Kite Lake (12000’ starting elevation) that climbs to Democrat (14148’), then scoots over to Cameron (14238’) enroute to Lincoln (14286’), and finishes up with Bross (14172’).  We had excellent conditions for May, although the winds got a little rough as we went over Cameron.  Bob and I took this 7 plus mile, 3400 foot climb session relatively tamely – enjoying the high time.  I felt significantly better at altitude than I did on Monday (mental for sure, not physical) – but still – when climbing at elevation, you are bound to feel the “concrete” in your legs at some grade and some speed. 

Great day in the hills with Bob for this fun jaunt.  Even played with chainsaws and burnt stuff afterwards.

image 
Starting out.
P5310036
Bob with Democrat looming in the distance.
P5310041 
At 20 percent plus grade, you click off the vertical feet pretty quickly as you climb out of Kite Lake.
P5310037P5310039
Typical trail as you head out of Kite. 
P5310038 
Heading up Democrat
 P5310045
Some shots from the summit of Democrat … Looking west.
P5310051
Looking east.  That is Cameron and Lincoln and Bross … the next peaks to get.
P5310050
Back towards Kite Lake and Buckskin Gulch.
P5310049  
Looking north, I think that is Quandry in the picture to the right
 P5310043 
Down the snowfield off Democrat and to the pass to Cameron
P5310055 P5310054 
No pix at the top of Cameron because it was crazy windy.  Heading over to Cameron and Lincoln and its summit.
P5310056P5310060
P5310066P5310073P5310070 
From Lincoln over to Bross … looking back at Lincoln (right) and Cameron (left)
P5310074
Summit of Bross
P5310076
Coming off Bross and its 35 percent scree covered slopes.
P5310085 P5310084 P5310083 P5310082
Looking back at Cameron
P5310081


6 comments:

  1. So jealous. Going through a difficult spell with 3 DNFs in the last 5 Weeks. Hoping to get some trail time in when there in a couple of weeks. Thinking that might rekindle the fire. I will email this weekend with questions about what to do with the family while out in Denver CO Springs area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi George! It was nice to meet you and Bob on the summit of Lincoln! It was a great day to be out in the mountains, but man... that wind was brutal at times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- I'm impressed with how early in the season you are getting to the summit! We always waited for the snow to melt off the trails, and that was usually sometime in July.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jim - you already know this, but don't sweat the DNFs. You can't get one if you don't start. But you can't get a finish if you don't start either.

    Andy - yes, good meeting you. You guys did a pretty big loop up there! And that wind on Cameron was pretty strong!

    Lize - it is a bit disturbing as to how little snow there is up there right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Decent peak identification, but was a little disappointed in your questioning Quandary... ;).

    Wish I could have joined.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had not seen it from that angle in a bit. But to your point, I was joking with Bob how you would have been up there naming out every intermediate peak.

    We took it pretty slow and easy and started below the gate and still were well under 3 hours. I am sure that an FKT on that route is still within your powers.

    ReplyDelete