Monday, May 14, 2012

Monday junk

Good stuff from Sweat Science on heart disease related deaths in endurance athletes.

Good wrap up on the weekend’s slew of activity by some guy who is a multiple dog owner but still is sort of fast despite only running 12 miles a week.  I have to guess that he is running with dogs more now just to prep for running with burros later this summer.  In any case, an impressive win by Mr. Jones over in some place I had not heard of until this race popped up and everyone was talking about it.  Impressed to see how humble he is, but apparently if he beats you he leaves a rose on your chest as to lay for dead.

Due to snow up high, a backpacking trip into the back country was put on hold with the Scouts.  The kids probably could have handled it, but there were a fair number of them that this would have been their first trip with everything they needed on their backs for multiple miles.  We figured it would be best if they did that without the additional stress of winter conditions.  No problem – as we were able to instead enjoy a few soccer games instead, a music recital from KZ that we would have otherwise missed, and get some planting in the back yard in as a part of some M-day activities.

Not much to say about training.  I am not sure I am really training as much as I am exercising.  Lately I have been wigged out by a variety of folks, including some family that my Achilles tendonitis is actually an infection of the sheath around the tendon.  Logically it does not make a lot of sense, but it has me freaked out on occasion (like when I am going to bed).  And then my mother in law had me flipping out that my gallbladder was failing.  Apparently I am not aging well.

Only goal on the horizon right now for me in terms of endurance accomplishment is being ready for this.  In light of that, and the finer spring/summer weather we have been having, the choice whether to run or to screw off in the gym has been an easy one.

Off to sea level again later this week …

 
(source) (and looking for places to run, so I subscribed to this)  … and then will be back in time for Memorial Day weekend.  Will head up to the high elevations then for a week of “exercise,” chain saws and thin air.  Maybe a brew or two as well. 

P6150029 Restored 1

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy Ireland. And hopefully you find some great local brew you can't get anywhere else.

    Justin = rest is good? Not to mention a wee bit of talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to go to Ireland...hope you have a great trip and find some fun trails to run on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff - yeah, I have a feeling that a pint might be raised while over there.

    In regards to Justin, and generally all of us ... I don't think fitness is something that once gained just disappears in six weeks. Yes, you will quickly lose that finer edge but the larger aspect of fitness does not disappear that quickly.

    Jill - congrats to yer boy on his band award.

    ReplyDelete