Wednesday, May 30, 2012

New Green Bear trail … love it or hate it.

Finally got around to reading Anton’s recent post on Skyrunning.  And I was thinking about it as I descended the new portion of the Green Bear trail this AM.  It was clear to me that there are folks who hate that trail.   These are folks, who want the most technical but runable steep straight up (0r down) the peak.  The new trail ain’t that.  In fact, it is almost more like a ramp built for handicap access.  The trail is super buffed out, not a root or a rock creates a wrinkle in the trail.  I think folks like Tony or JV find this trail almost insulting to their connection with the mountain.  A trail like this is almost equivalent to putting a sidewalk on it. 

But I had talked to a few runners on the peak who LOVED it.  One of these guys was a HR veteran but he loved it.  He could run it while enjoying the mountain’s other offerings without absolutely concentrating where to put his feet so that he did not land on his face. 

The new trail seems to be a love it or hate it sort of thing.

I see both sides.  My klutzy nature, along with a lack of strength (comparatively) on climbs greater than 10% and a “roadie” background let me see how fun this trail is.  At the same time, I will miss that last valley that this new trail has effectively closed off. 

For what it is worth, there appear to be some reroutes of the old trail in work to move it a whole four feet to the left (or right).  I am not sure that was really necessary.

Other notes:  it looks like Evans is bringing back some historical trophy hardware.  Cool.

6 comments:

  1. I don't have any particularly useful insight on *that* particular trail, old vs. new.

    But from a *general* standpoint, "we" (the people of the USA) have a method of trail construction that also intends to be sensitive to heavy use and erosion. Clear examples of this are on some legacy 14er trails vs. newer CFI trails (e.g., Huron Pk has a switchback for every switchback, it seems), general IMBA (mt. bike) trail-building guidelines...and, closer to home, last year's Front Range rage over "Angry Ranger" ranger anger. !

    So, how does our current trail-building ethos compare to older trails, and those in Europe? How does erosion and wildlife destruction compare in Europe vs. the U.S., and in what ways does our trail construction -reflect- our hiking style, and in what ways does it -direct- it?

    Can we have the best of *both*? (Buffed-out heavy use trails; steeper, direct trails for lighter use?)

    Just wanted to throw that into the mix for further pontification.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet on the trophy rock at Evans. I just decided to pull that trigger and give it another go. I suspect Mario will be back, if the weather is good this year he'll get Matt C's record.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mixed feelings on the new trail. On one hand, I enjoy new scenery and I'll admit that it is fun to crank up the tempo on the moderate grade (it almost seems like if the trail were like that the entire way, it would be about 0 vertical vs. ~2,500).

    But, the wheelchair ramp nature of it somewhat detracts from what I like about running in the mountains (steep and technical).

    That said (and not that I would engage in or promote such behavior) the old trail can still be easily negotiated with just a few log hops. Not sure how long this will be the case though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not been on the new trail so I can not really comment on it specifically. But, I assume that there was some good reason why OSMP decided a reroute was in order. Have you seen anything regarding why this was done?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I lived in Boulder, the new trail on Green might be a nice opportunity to give my shins and tendons a break from technical running while also getting in some nice vertical. That said, I'd still hit the narly trails most of the time, but it would be nice to reserve a few "rest/easy" days here and there for smooth running up and back down the mountain. Sometimes I just want to cruise without worrying about roots, rocks, etc. Variety....

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucho - that ought to net you a hundred bucks.

    Nick - I will have to do a bit of research as to the actual justification for the trail reroutes. I think it is generally to move them from the drainages. That said, I am not sure that is really the justification when it is moved three feet to one side. Maybe that is just to change the erosion pattern.

    Wyatt - yeah. I guess I wish they'd take on Fern then.

    Jeff - of course. Would never do that and blog about it.

    Mike - you have thought way more about this than I have. No surprise there. I think I saw that the CFI was what was in place on Quandry. That did not look overly switch backed to me (or at least did not feel like it).

    ReplyDelete