Monday, May 21, 2012

Sunday 052012

Well, it is Monday here, but I am going to say Sunday in the title of the post because it is still Sunday at home.

Read Geoff’s latest and find it interesting that he is the most recent guy I know who posts about the detriments of living at altitude.  Most of us talk about, or consider it a benefit to get up there, but there is definitely a good amount of anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

I really got my work cut out for me at HR to keep up with this guy for even half his race.  Thankfully he will have about a day and 50 miles already in his legs … so I ought to be good for a little bit.

KJ bounces back and runs sub 4 at Zegama.  The mud on that course looked nuts.  Looking at the results, I am really interested in hearing reports from the typical guys.  Love hearing Kilian rip the internet crowd.

Some are smoking cigars as part of ultra training.  Some are taking pepper spray to the face.

Yes!  Bryon Powell from Irunfar for UROY.  Now that I can get behind.

Pretty sure that I have realized my potential in the corporate world.  While I was being my typical self at dinner and had most of the table in stitches, my I overhead my bosses boss mutter to him “is he drunk?”  My boss did not miss a beat and replied laughing “nope, he is always like that.”

Got this from Jeff M, and I am not completely convinced Mick is singing, but pretty much anything Dave G touches is gold.

5 comments:

  1. Nice when your boss has your back.

    Jealous of being able to pace someone at HR.

    I've actually read some studies (Sweat Science?) that said there actually is not very much evidence at all that altitude training gives you an advantage. I guess it depends on how you 'do it' really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zegamma - After Dakota's success last weekend, I think this weekend was a bit humbling for the American runners and us fans alike. No Americans within 26 minutes of Kilian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a fact that the body has to work harder, takes longer to heal, etc. up high. Just think some degree of what happens Everest. The question then becomes: how much can the body adapt vs. how much is it deteriorating? I'm sure that is a highly individual mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you pacing for the full time of Ouray to the finish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had thought I had more muscle mass when living at near sea level in NC as compared to living in CO. My legs were definitely smaller and I personally had less power. Now that I've been back at sea level and training for seven months, my legs are definitely bigger and I'm overall more toned. I thought it was just coincidence until reading Geoff's post.

    NMP, I think GZ is pacing me from Grouse (mile 58?)

    ReplyDelete