Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tuesday 051512

The Hokas are pretty amazing on downhills.  It is sort of like running in big fat bouncy castle shoes.  Beneath that bouncy castle is all sorts of stuff that typically would hurt you.  Rocks.  Gravel.  Heck, a whole planet.  But coming down Ranger and the Gregory yesterday, I felt none of that.  Wow.  A shot from Joey Luther on what a hacked Hoka looks like.

photo

Ken posted some good stuff yesterday that I thought I would share:  carb addictions and a bunch of good stuff on weight loss versus fat loss.  In fact the opening picture on that latter article makes it worth a click.

Here is a race to consider if you are a.) male b.) over 40 c.) can break 5 minutes for the mile.  I am pretty sure that is out of my league these days but I am going to really try to make a go of getting in a few of the BRR races this summer over at the track.  It has been a long time since I hurt like that and it is worth visiting again.

Why haven’t cyclists taken up compression socks in competition?

Dave Dunham has some predictions up regarding Mount Washington and the master men division.  My take:  Simon G.

Been reading a good amount on the Quad Rock (just a few examples: Jaime, Woody, Brandon) races and not surprised to hear Nick and Pete put on a great show.

Hearing word of a Ring the Peak run first weekend in June that I am half heartedly considering.  Comes at the tail of chainsaw camp so I am not sure.

Apparently you can legally let it all hang out at the Bay to Breakers run.

WORLD Mountain Running King … the King interview.

Some relative recent pix
IMG_0417
IMG_0482
IMG_0472
IMG_0540
IMG_0581
IMG_0575

6 comments:

  1. Meant to post this yesterday, but my dad is from County Cork. He grew up in a small town about 30 miles outside the city called Kilbrittain, about five miles southwest of Bandon. Then went to boarding school at St. Finbar's in town. Most of my extended family still lives there.

    There's a pub called the Pink Elephant that's right on the ocean there, overlooking Courtmacsherry bay. If you can make it out there in anything resembling decent weather, it's a small slice of heaven.

    Kinsale is another cool town in that area. The James's fort is pretty awesome, especially if you're bringing the kids and they are into old castles and things.

    Cork city itself isn't that exciting, in my humble opinion. But if you can make arrange to see a Gaelic football or hurling match, that's a pretty spectacular experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even those there's the increased oxygenation factor in the compression socks, the main reason I use them is for the muscle stabilization. Running is a lot more of a jarring and damaging (to the muscles and connective tissue) sport than cycling.

    Awesome pick of JZ!! May I use it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding socks and cycling, the UCI has banned socks that exceed a certain height:

    http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/bikes-and-tech/uci-to-require-lawyer-tabs-dictate-camelbak-placement-and-sock-length_209958

    Of course you could use them outside UCI races, but it seems to be overkill for the reasons Tim stated. Or, is there some possible advantage to using them and hence the UCI ban?

    Taylor Phinney seems to have not heard about this though and has been using them in the Giro, while wearing the pink leader's jersey even

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/giro-ditalia/stage-9/photos/222539

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess the UCI ban is the big factor.

    Kieran - thanks for the background on Cork and the tip on the pub!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure what you are getting at with the compression sock comment. But, I wore some for MMT (only because my calf was pretty painful the few weeks leading up to the race) and I don't know if it made much difference. It seemed to at least prevent my calf from hurting. Didn't seem to matter in terms of performance/fatigue though so I doubt I would wear them again unless I was dealing with a similar problem. Just my 2 cents.

    Enjoy Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just poking at the compression gear stuff. Typically bikers and tri folk are a lot more dialed into science than runners. It dawned on me that I see hardly any bikers wearing it. At least on the calves. Was not sure why.

    ReplyDelete